Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th February 2009, 09:21 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

mount -o loop /media/PATRIOT/Fedora/Fedora-10-i386-DVD

and

livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr /mnt/iso/images/boot.iso /dev/sdd1

should be two separate commands on separate lines.

If it still says invalid option then run 'yum update livecd-tools'

If it still complains that the partition is not bootable then type 'parted /dev/sdb -s 'toggle 1 boot'

When I say "umount the disk first" I mean the usb disk, which you can do so by right-clicking on the icon in the desktop.
Old 17th February 2009, 01:30 PM
seabird Offline

Ok, I tried the linux version, but that didn't work for me. The windows version, I select the fedora10 iso, and takes forever, but it boots, but can't find an image.

If i use the windows version, which .iso do I select, and then, where do I sick the fedora10.iso

The usb is 8gb, so it should all fit easily
Old 17th February 2009, 02:26 PM
nyjetshead Offline

I had the same issue the fedora version... didn't boot.
The windows version works fine.

I downloaded the .iso from the web and put it on my desktop in case something went wrong.

Pick the live version for your platform.

http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
Old 20th February 2009, 08:02 PM
BrillianceLin Offline

I have problem after install
Detail is here,
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=214299
Any one can help?
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:53 AM
kaafree Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbao View Post
My question is I want to make a multiple boot net installation USB drive, which can boot and start network installation for several linux distributions. ie. FC10-i686, FC10-x64, RHEL5-i686, RHEL5-x64 etc.es not suit me, because it is single boot, and it is using live-ISO, which is much bigger than netISO to fit on USB drive w/ multiple ISOs.

I tried format the USB drive with HP USB tools, then use grubinst on the USB, then use WINGRUB to install grub on it. I extracted all files from FC10-i686-netinstall ISO to USB drive, edit MENU.LST as

title Fedora Core 10 i386
kernel /boot/Fedora-10-i386/syslinux/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/Fedora-10-i386/syslinux/initrd.img

During the boot, when I select menu item of Fedora Core 10 i386, Grub tried to read my floppy drive instead of the USB drive itself. then report vmlinuz cannot be found.

Any one can help me here? Thank you.
I very much like the things LinuxFormat is providing on the DVDs that come with every magazine - they provide several different live distros (for example Fedora, Ubuntu and Puppy) in one DVD and they do it in ISO images. I would like to set a USB stick this way to test or demonstrate different distros quickly. Any ideas how to do it ?
Old 23rd February 2009, 03:44 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

There's an Ubuntu based tool called unetbootin that does that pretty well (at least with most liveCDs, but not all)

It's pretty quick.
To run it on Fedora, you have to install a few things.

yum -y install mtools p7zip p7zip-plugins

Also, it may (I don't know if they've fixed this) it may give an error that you don't have vol_id. That's because Ubuntu and Fedora put it in different places. So you'd have to run

ln -s /lib/udev/vol_id /usr/bin/vol_id

(Or export your path to include /lib/udev.)

Lastly, the newest version seems to look for a libaudio library. In my case I did (this was on CentOS, so not sure if the name is the same

ln -s /lib/libaudiofile.so.0 /lib/libaudio.so.2

(I believe it was complaining about a missing libaudio.so.2 I believe they consider this a bug and it will be fixed soon.)

You just download it (it's a binary) and then run, as root or with sudo

./unetbootin-<version>

It will let you pick the ISO file and a (mounted) usb device.

I've sometimes had it work when the Fedora tools failed.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 23rd February 2009, 03:51 AM
scottro Offline

I should also add thanks to sideways for this howto. I agree with others that I'm a bit surprised they don't have it in the release notes for F10. Whether they will for F11 or not, I don't know, but it seems that at present, they assume there's only instructions for the LiveCD from USB. There no longer seems to be a small file to dd over the USB stick, I guess you have to use the livecd-tools to copy boot.iso, as per sideways' howto.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:40 PM
sgt_urankar Offline

i found a better of archiver for windows. Try Izarc. It seems to read iso file quit well. Have not tried on dvd iso's, however it does work on cd iso's.
Old 7th March 2009, 08:36 PM
rohit_ Offline

hi...after thinking over it for a considerable period of time i decided to switch to linux frm windows vista... i found this post really helpful as the optical drive on my laptop hasn't been working since long. Anyways, i downloaded the windows application and made the bootable pendrive. My machine booted from the ddrive with no hiccups,but after asking me to configure my drives and set the root location, i get the following message(titled Missing ISO 9660 Image): "The installer has tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive. Please copy this image to the drive and click Retry. Click Exit to abort the installation."

I dnt knw which image is it talking about? and which drive? Please help me...i want to shift to fedora as soon as possible
Old 7th March 2009, 09:03 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_ View Post

I dnt knw which image is it talking about? and which drive? Please help me...i want to shift to fedora as soon as possible

"I downloaded the windows application"

get the livecd instead, do the usb transfer, start simple windows noob (this thread is not about live installs)
Old 7th March 2009, 09:05 PM
rohit_ Offline

I don't want a live-CD i want to install it on my machine.....can u please help me with it?
Old 7th March 2009, 09:09 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_ View Post
I don't want a live-CD i want to install it on my machine.....can u please help me with it?
Posts #1 and #2 show you how, you don't even need a working fedora install it can be all done from a livecd session
Old 8th March 2009, 11:03 PM
manuleka Offline

followed the first post instructions and i get this message:
Code:
Missing operating system.

Boot Failure
Press any key to continue
on the 4GB USB i have these folders -files:

images -install.img
syslinux -boot files, grub etc...
LiveOS -empty
Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso

what i did:
Code:
su -
yum install livecd-tools
mkdir /mnt/vrom
mount -o loop /media/Oth/dwnlds/os/Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/vrom
livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr /mnt/vrom/images/boot.iso /dev/sdb1

parted /dev/sdb -s 'toggle 1 boot'
quit

mkdir /media/disk/images
cp /mnt/vrom/images/install.img  /media/disk/images/
cp /media/Oth/dwnlds/os/Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso /media/disk/
did i miss something?

i also set my laptop to boot from USB only...

Last edited by manuleka; 8th March 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:12 PM
scottro Offline

I ran into this once and the way I fixed it was redoing the first part---that is, after having performed sideways' instructions, once again doing the livecd-iso-to-disk with the boot.iso. I meant to post that here, but then the install failed for some other obscure reason, so I gave up on that method for that install.

(Which isn't a criticism of the method, I figured I'd messed something up somewhere along the way, and just wound up using the now working boot.iso USB partition to do an NFS installation.)

Old 8th March 2009, 11:38 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuleka View Post
followed the first post instructions and i get this message:
Code:
Missing operating system.

Boot Failure
Press any key to continue
on the 4GB USB i have these folders -files:

images -install.img
syslinux -boot files, grub etc...
LiveOS -empty
Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso

what i did:
Code:
su -
yum install livecd-tools
mkdir /mnt/vrom
mount -o loop /media/Oth/dwnlds/os/Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/vrom
livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr /mnt/vrom/images/boot.iso /dev/sdb1

parted /dev/sdb -s 'toggle 1 boot'
quit

mkdir /media/disk/images
cp /mnt/vrom/images/install.img  /media/disk/images/
cp /media/Oth/dwnlds/os/Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso /media/disk/
did i miss something?

i also set my laptop to boot from USB only...
if you execute "parted /dev/sdb -s 'toggle 1 boot'" after a successful run of the livecd-iso-to-disk command it will toggle the boot flag to off!

Only execute the "parted" command if livecd-iso-to-disk tells you to.

In your case you can just rerun the command to toggle the boot flag back on, then you should be set.

Tags
4gb, dvd, fedora, howto, install, stick, usb