Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2009, 12:20 AM
manuleka Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
if you execute "parted /dev/sdb -s 'toggle 1 boot'" after a successful run of the livecd-iso-to-disk command it will toggle the boot flag to off!

Only execute the "parted" command if livecd-iso-to-disk tells you to.

In your case you can just rerun the command to toggle the boot flag back on, then you should be set.
reason for running parted because i got a pass result from running livecd-iso... but says to run # /sbin/something to make the media bootable or something... and also i checked the usb drive and there was no syslinux or boot material

anyhow problem fixed - i just redo the whole process and it created the syslinux when i ran livecd-iso... this time so didn't have to run parted...

Last edited by manuleka; 9th March 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 9th March 2009, 02:17 AM
GaMt Offline

Hi I downloaded the x86_64 bit version of Fedora 10 (DVD)
I had the liveusb creator.. realized it was for live only..

I'm using windows, I would like to know how to install fedora 10 (64-bit) though I'm running on (32bit) not sure if that's a problem like it is for windows 7 64-bit..

So how would i go about making the usb bootable.. the steps i took were.

diskpart in CMD.
list disk
select disk 1 (USB)
create partition primary
active
format fs=FAT32
assign
exit

then I xcopyed my emulator drive to the USB drive..
booted it up via BIOS.. and I get "invalid partition table"

Ehh... what would you suggest I do to boot DVD (64-bit) .iso on 8gig usb?
Old 9th March 2009, 12:23 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMt View Post

Ehh... what would you suggest I do to boot DVD (64-bit) .iso on 8gig usb?
Just follow instruction in post #1 but copy the 64-bit iso instead, there's plenty of space on 8GB. If you don't have fedora then transfer the boot.iso image with windows liveusb-creator as suggested in post #9
Old 10th March 2009, 03:50 AM
GaMt Offline

Quote:
Just follow instruction in post #1 but copy the 64-bit iso instead, there's plenty of space on 8GB. If you don't have fedora then transfer the boot.iso image with windows liveusb-creator as suggested in post #9
Hmmm. well I tried FAT32 but for some strange reason when I try to boot it it says 'invalid partition table"

I've tried FAT32 for both windows 7 and F10.. after they both gave me the error I tried windows 7 in NTFS and it worked flawlessly.. F10 usb-creator doesn't support NTFS.. so I can't get that one bootable..

Okay tried it again using live-usb and only live usb (I don't use winrar to extract)
but all I see is a flashing underscore and I can't type anything.. I've waiting like 10 mins just in case...
But the USB is showing no activity..

I'm pretty sure uTorrent checks the sum.

Last edited by GaMt; 10th March 2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 27th March 2009, 02:30 PM
discography Offline

How to pass the URL for the net installation automatically?

When "URL" is chosen as installation media, the installer asks, "please enter the URL containing the Fedora installation image on your server"

How can the value for that URL be preloaded as a kernel boot parameter?
Old 27th March 2009, 02:36 PM
discography Offline

Ok, I accidently stumbled over the answer here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...n-options.html

in isolinux.cfg, append method=
and then the URL of the installer image. e.g.
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.r...edora/i386/os/
Old 11th April 2009, 05:20 PM
flyingpengwin Offline

I have been running fedora 10 on a 4gb usb (patriot Xporter). I used the live-usb creatot and it worked fine but, I'm having a serious issue. I cannot update. Everytime I do, I am forced to manually shutdown (hold the power button), and on the next boot up to the usb it says "Dropping to shell." then says "no control in shell" (or something along these lines). No bash commands are working at all. No startx. Has anyone had this issue? am i suppose to just not update?
Old 11th April 2009, 05:55 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpengwin View Post
I have been running fedora 10 on a 4gb usb (patriot Xporter). I used the live-usb creatot and it worked fine but, I'm having a serious issue. I cannot update. Everytime I do, I am forced to manually shutdown (hold the power button), and on the next boot up to the usb it says "Dropping to shell." then says "no control in shell" (or something along these lines). No bash commands are working at all. No startx. Has anyone had this issue? am i suppose to just not update?
Post a new thread, your issue is unrelated to this howto, and I'm surprised fedora even installs in 4gb, if you mean you are running the livecd from usb then that's also not related to this thread (and for the record, I don't recommend running yum updates on a livecd running from usb, even with a large persistence overlay it's unreliable)
Old 11th April 2009, 06:49 PM
flyingpengwin Offline

Quote:
Post a new thread, your issue is unrelated to this howto, and I'm surprised fedora even installs in 4gb, if you mean you are running the livecd from usb then that's also not related to this thread (and for the record, I don't recommend running yum updates on a livecd running from usb, even with a large persistence overlay it's unreliable)
Ok, I'm sorry about posting here since it was unrelated. I saw that there was instructions on how to make it to usb (i was using a live-cd from usb with persistent changes). If someone wants to delete my posts i would appricate it. And thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited by flyingpengwin; 11th April 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 19th April 2009, 12:30 PM
cola Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
There's an Ubuntu based tool called unetbootin that does that pretty well (at least with most liveCDs, but not all)

It's pretty quick.
To run it on Fedora, you have to install a few things.

yum -y install mtools p7zip p7zip-plugins

Also, it may (I don't know if they've fixed this) it may give an error that you don't have vol_id. That's because Ubuntu and Fedora put it in different places. So you'd have to run

ln -s /lib/udev/vol_id /usr/bin/vol_id

(Or export your path to include /lib/udev.)

Lastly, the newest version seems to look for a libaudio library. In my case I did (this was on CentOS, so not sure if the name is the same

ln -s /lib/libaudiofile.so.0 /lib/libaudio.so.2

(I believe it was complaining about a missing libaudio.so.2 I believe they consider this a bug and it will be fixed soon.)

You just download it (it's a binary) and then run, as root or with sudo

./unetbootin-<version>

It will let you pick the ISO file and a (mounted) usb device.

I've sometimes had it work when the Fedora tools failed.
Thanks.
Missing that p7zip.
Old 19th April 2009, 01:23 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Yum isn't finding p7zip?

That doesn't sound right.

Please try again, getting it by itself.

yum install p7zip

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 20th April 2009, 01:00 PM
cola Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Yum isn't finding p7zip?

That doesn't sound right.

Please try again, getting it by itself.

yum install p7zip
I was missing that p7zip for unetbutin (linux version).
It's ok now.
Old 24th April 2009, 04:23 PM
akvino Offline

May or may not be related

I am hopping someone can point out the necessary steps to do the following.

I am aware that one can install the live iso with cache that would hold updates, but how do you make a live - bootable usb or cd from a distro that is patched, updated, configured the way you want it. In other words, take a copy of the current OS with applied conf. modifications and put it on the live USB, so you could carry it over to another machine and fire it up, install it on the hard drive and it would appear identical to the original machine.
Old 24th April 2009, 05:11 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Not really related, but you could do it but it would require quite a bit of work, and a dvd big enough to hold the (compressed) filesystem

You'd have to create the package list of current installed rpms and paste it in a kisckstart file for livecd-creator. Then you'd have to manually copy all the config files in the %post section of the kickstart file, eg to copy yum.conf you'd have this:

Code:
%post --nochroot
# copy any required files to the Live Image
cp /etc/yum.conf $INSTALL_ROOT/etc/yum.conf
(an example kickstart file here)

At the top of the kickstart you'd need to specify a large enough partition for the installed system eg 'part / --size 8000'

You can get the initial installed package list from /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, and a list of subsequently installed rpms from /var/yum.log* or 'rpm -qa --last'

A selection of kickstart files to base your livedvd on can be installed with 'yum install spin-kickstarts'.

An easier option is to make a compressed image of your install and copy that to a livecd and then restore with dd
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...1&postcount=11
Old 24th April 2009, 05:22 PM
akvino Offline

Quote:
Not really related, but you could do it but it would require quite a bit of work, and a dvd big enough to hold the (compressed) filesystem

You'd have to create the package list of current installed rpms and paste it in a kisckstart file for livecd-creator. Then you'd have to manually copy all the config files in the %post section of the kickstart file, eg to copy yum.conf you'd have this:

Code:
%post --nochroot
# copy any required files to the Live Image
cp /etc/yum.conf $INSTALL_ROOT/etc/yum.conf
(an example kickstart file here)

At the top of the kickstart you'd need to specify a large enough partition for the installed system eg 'part / --size 8000'

You can get the initial installed package list from /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, and a list of subsequently installed rpms from /var/yum.log* or 'rpm -qa --last'

A selection of kickstart files to base your livedvd on can be installed with 'yum install spin-kickstarts'.

An easier option is to make a compressed image of your install and copy that to a livecd and then restore with dd
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...1&postcount=11
HM a lot is said here, let me try and work on some of this. BTW since this involves kickstart in one form or another - would the anaconda-ks.cfg work or do live-tools have its own Live CD compressed kickstart version???? I am reading through the livedc-tools README - is there a well documented site/text/howto/ on livecd-tools?
Thanks for the help

Tags
4gb, dvd, fedora, howto, install, stick, usb