Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 30th November 2008, 03:34 AM
amturnip Offline

No sound from Vista guest of virt-manager?

How can I get audio output from a KVM virtual machine overseen by virt-manager?

Vista runs as a guest of KVM, but produces no sound. The Fedora host sounds fine, e.g., rhythmbox.

This is with Fedora 10's virt-manager and kvm packages.

When virt-manager displays the virtual machine, the Vista tray shows an icon that says "No Audio Output Device is Installed". (Did not see any audio in virt-manager's "Add Hardware" dialog.) When "rdesktop -r sound:local" displays the virtual machine, the Vista tray says "Microsoft RDP Audio Transport" (and volume high!), but nonetheless, no sound escapes. I also told virt-manager to use SDL, but got an error message ("internal error QEMU quit during console startup Could not initialize SDL - exiting").

How can I get audio output from this Vista in a virtual machine?
Old 4th March 2009, 09:57 PM
jflesher Offline

I'm having the same problem; thought it better to bump this thread then start a new one, just in case you figured it out and just didn't answer your own post.

I'm running XP x64, but I first installed Windows 2008 x64 with same problem; since its like Vista I figure it has the same issue; so maybe its not the flavour of Windoze that is causing this issue.

Anyone else have any version of Windoze running in Virtualization using KVM that has the sound working?
Just so I know it is possible.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by jflesher; 4th March 2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 15th May 2009, 12:18 AM
nthn Offline

Quote:
(Did not see any audio in virt-manager's "Add Hardware" dialog.)
If there is no audio hardware installed in the VM, audio will of course, not work. Verify you have added a Sound device to the VM before following the steps below.

Quote:
the Vista tray shows an icon that says "No Audio Output Device is Installed".
In Vista, open the Device Manager: (click Start, then type "Device Manager" in the search box and press Enter.)
In the Other category, check if there is an unknown piece of hardware called Multimedia Controller Adapter (or something like that). Right-click it and click "Update Driver Software." Allow windows to Search Online for an updated driver. It should find and install the "Creative AudioPCI (ES1370)" driver. Sound should then be working. Note: my System Tray Volume icon still showed that no device was installed until I rebooted the VM.
Old 27th February 2010, 06:29 AM
patrickian Offline

linuxfirefox
I am not getting sound from any of my virtual machines.
I noticed it on Vista, but Ubuntu doesnt have sound either.
Pats
Old 27th February 2010, 04:31 PM
jflesher Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
VM No Sound

I'm no expert; but you have to add virtual hardware drivers for all real devices; in a virtual machine, all hardware is virtual also; how you add it depends on the OS; I lost interest in VM before I learned how to do this; maybe one day I'll re-visit it; for now you'll have to take the advise of nthn for vista; on Ubuntu I'd start by looking at Hardware Drivers under System Administrator; if that doesn't help, ask at the Ubuntu forums; or maybe someone else here has done this before.

Good luck
Old 1st March 2010, 04:55 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Is there any solution to this problem? In my Vista virtual machine, I see the sound card setup, and it reports that it is working fine. Nonetheless, I get no sound. What needs to be changed in which file to make sound work?
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:02 PM
pstrang Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I've got the same problem. Must be a trick. Fedora 12 (sound works fine), Virtual Machine Manager, WinXP 32-bit as a guest, sound ES1370, drivers loaded, windoz thinks there is sound, I can adjust all the volumes, play sound, but nothing comes out of the speaker.

What are we doing wrong?

Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:14 PM
jflesher Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Did you add the Virtual Device Driver in the hardware manager under Add Hardware?

If not, please see documentation on this subject; don't remember how to exactly; but I did do it once; just been a long time; seems there are two things I had to do; first was to load a Virtual Sound driver in VM's hardware manager under add hardware; then run Windoz and see if it can then install a sound driver.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:41 PM
pstrang Offline

windows_7firefox
Windoz did install a sound driver, even windoz update wanted to update the sound driver. I let it, but still didn't produce any sound, but it thinks it's playing it.

Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:46 PM
jflesher Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
But did you install the VM driver so that it forms a bridge from the VM OS and your hardware?

Otherwise Windoz can be talking but no one is listening.

Think of the VM OS as running in a sand box; the driver helps it think outside the box; without it there is no communication going on; everything stays in the box.

This is a two part process; you have to do both parts.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:03 PM
pstrang Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
A sound device already exists in the VM. The sound device is a 'es1370'. Windoz guest found ES1370 hardware and installed a driver.

Outside of the Virtual Machine Manager, what else has to be done?

Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:28 PM
jflesher Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
I thought I missed something, your not being very specific about all the details and there are a few different people all with related but not the same specific problem.

To be honest; I think I got a little annoyed with the whole process of running a VM for this same reason and gave up; I know that will not help you at all; but what might is to be more specific about your setup and see if someone can help; I always tell people to post a smolt link so we don't have to ask what hardware you have or what version of Fedora you are running; beyond it being F12, is it x64 or 32 bit; it might make a difference when you are trying to talk to a 32 bit VM OS; also what VM host are you running; If Windoz what SP and what platform; x64 or 32; even though I think you said 32; I don't remember you saying what F12 it was; you get my point; in this world its all the details that help us help you.

From what I know about it, its a matter of getting the VM to talk to Fedora via the VM hardware manager when dealing with the sound card; or NIC, etc; I'd look more into that end of it. It sounds like this is where the problem is; there might be other tools that will help troubleshoot this; I'm just not that knowledgeable about it to me much more help, other then asking you for more details so others might help; if they don't see these details they may not bother to reply, only because they don't feel its necessary to ask all these questions that I just asked, just to help you.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:42 PM
pstrang Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks.

It is Fedora Core 12, 64-bit running Virtual Machine Manager. Guest OS is WinXP 32-bit, SP3...all latest updates (but sound never worked after fresh install).

Smolt: http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pu...4-fbac0932409d
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:57 PM
jflesher Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
I hope this helps:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=508317
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:59 PM
pstrang Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks....I think.

Tags
guest, sound, virtmanager, vista