Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2008, 06:21 AM
shirie Offline

Help, ifconfig can't display my wireless usb card!

Hello, all.

I'm trying to install a new wireless usb card in my laptop. The wirless card is Edmax 7318Ug, which use the rt73 chipset.
My os is Fedora 7. I updated the kernel to 2.6.27. I want to use the driver rt73usb which is available in the kernel.
I insert my card. after the os is booted. I can use the iwconfig to config the card. But the command "ifconfig" can't. It can't display the card named "wlan0" which is displayed by iwconfig. Does anybody know how to fix it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 1st December 2008, 07:45 AM
era_pk Offline

Hello, Shirie

built in driver did not work in my case. it was DWL-G122. first you can look in to network manager-->hardware tab. if you dont see any wireless card it means there is some problem with driver or firmware. if so you can try this

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html

Last edited by era_pk; 1st December 2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 1st December 2008, 08:06 AM
era_pk Offline

this may aslo be useful

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...u_and_opensuse
Old 1st December 2008, 08:08 AM
shirie Offline

Hello, era_pk.Thank you for you reply.
yes, I cant see the wirless card in the network manager-->hardware tab. But I really see it by iwconfig.
I visit the link you provided. But it didn't provide a rt73usb firmware. What should do? Could you help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by era_pk View Post
Hello, Shirie

built in driver did not work in my case. it was DWL-G122. first you can look in to network manager-->hardware tab. if you dont see any wireless card it means there is some problem with driver or firmware. if so you can try this

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html
Old 1st December 2008, 08:11 AM
shirie Offline

Yes, I've tried the rt73 usb legecy driver. But it can't support ad hoc mode. Someone said it is possible to use the rt73usb driver which is built in the kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by era_pk View Post
Old 1st December 2008, 11:32 AM
era_pk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirie View Post
Hello, era_pk.Thank you for you reply.
yes, I cant see the wirless card in the network manager-->hardware tab. But I really see it by iwconfig.
I visit the link you provided. But it didn't provide a rt73usb firmware. What should do? Could you help me.

May be this chipset is obsolete now . tell me ur email id. I can send it as an attachment!

Tags
ad hoc, rt73, wireless card