Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2008, 06:04 PM
essuahc Offline

kernel-2.6.27.5 not booting on F9

I'm having problems with kernel-2.6.27.5 on F9.
I tried both 2.6.27.5-37 and 2.6.27.5-41 with no luck.
For some reason these kernels won't boot my system.
When I go back to kernel-2.6.26.6-79, everything works fine.

I was hoping to preupgrade-cli to F10 but the initial booting kernel also won't boot.

It seems that the newer kernels won't see the LVM partitions on my system and hence aren't able to find the kernels to boot.

Any idea what I can try to get the system to boot the newer kernels or upgrade to F10.

I upgraded my x86_64 laptop using preupgrade-cli and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 1st December 2008, 06:20 PM
big red Offline

I'm having the same problem. I'm about to start digging to find a solution and when I do, I'll post here. Just letting you know that you're not alone.
Old 1st December 2008, 06:25 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Neither of you guys specified exactly what happens here: "kernel-2.6.27.5 not booting on F9" - i.e.: what/where/how do these failures occur?

I saw the same on preupgrade F8=>F9, and still not fixed: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=203692. A bug report against preupgrade was closed immediately as "NEXT RELEASE". Big help (NOT).

V

Last edited by Hlingler; 2nd December 2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 1st December 2008, 06:28 PM
big red Offline

Sorry, I'm at work and my personal computer is not. I'll try to get more details when I get home tonight...assuming I can't find a solution first.

edit: found this

Last edited by big red; 1st December 2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 1st December 2008, 06:55 PM
Shadowofthesun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by big red View Post
Sorry, I'm at work and my personal computer is not. I'll try to get more details when I get home tonight...assuming I can't find a solution first.

edit: found this
Just curious, big red- did you see the same "PME Error" statements as I did with quiet boot disabled? Everyone seems to be having problems with the 2.6.27 series kernels, and for different reasons. If you do have the PME Error, I'm curious as to what hardware you're sporting.

I'm running on a Sager NP2090 Laptop, with the following specs:
Core 2 Duo T7100
nVidia 8600M GT (Was running with 177.82 series drivers installed from nVidia's website)
3 GB of RAM
Fedora 9 x86_64 and Vista x64 Dual-boot

I'm thinking its either a problem with the 177.82 series driver, or perhaps I accidentally downloaded a desktop driver that doesn't support power management features, and is therefore confusing the system (I'm not sure if nVidia's linux drivers have differently branched laptop and desktop drivers, and if they support hardware checking like the Windows ones do). Or, it could be some other problem entirely that requires me to use akmods.

Anyway, I successfully installed Fedora 10, so I should hopefully not run into this issue again. However, I really want to use the 180.xx series drivers to get access to video acceleration, and I'm wary of doing so until I figure out this problem. Any more info would be appreciated.
Old 1st December 2008, 08:43 PM
essuahc Offline

This is what I get when trying to boot the 2.6.27-5 kernels:

Scanning logical volumes
Reading all logical volumes. This may take a while...
No volume groups found.
Trying to resume from /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
Unable to access resume device
Creating root device
Mounting root file system
Switchroot to new root and running init
Switchroot: mount failed: no such file or directory
Booting has failed.
Old 2nd December 2008, 01:03 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Ayup! That's pretty close to exactly what I see.

V

Tags
booting, kernel5