<---- template headericclude ----->
Difference Install Media and Live Media??
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference Install Media and Live Media??

Ive got some problems starting the installation setup while booting from cd/dvd.

After you started your pc and boot from cd/dvd a blue screen will appear with options to choose like memtest, boot local drive, install Fedora, etc...
    When I pick the option Install Fedora a black screen appears with the lines Loading vmlinuz..........................
    then the next line Loading initrd.img.................
    After a few lines of dots the setup should start, but in my case sometimes the line stops at loading vmlinuz.......... and sometimes at Loading initrd.img........ my dvd device doesn't buffer anymore and I need to reboot my pc, until after numerous of tries both vmlinuz and initrd.img loads up and starts the setup.
    But most of the time I need to reboot my pc like 200/300 times(actual numbers) before it actually reaches the setup.

Ive had this same problem with Fedora 9, and with Ubuntu 8.
    (Btw. in these cases I use Install Media dvd 32/64 bit)

For example when I try to install xp or vista, ive got no problems at all with something not being loaded.

Some days ago I tried the Live media 64bit cd, it didn't qork with the first try, but after 3-5 tries.
    I could load FC10 from the cd, and choose install Fedora on hard drive on the loaded desktop, and that worked just fine.

After this "long" story I would like to know if there is something to do about the Install Media not loading properly or maybe even hardware related...
    And I would like to know what the main difference is between installing from the Live media and from the Install media, since Ive noticed that installing Fedora 10 from the Live Media cd goes way faster.

P.S. Ive checked the hashes of the Install media before I burned it with eather Magic Iso or Iso burner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long are you waiting before you reboot your pc? Depending upon how old your machine is or how much RAM it has it can take awhile for Live media to load and start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live media=less packages=faster install=less updates.
    CD/DVD install media=more packages=slower install=more updates.

Now that you have Fedora installed from live media you can use the DVD to get more packages that weren't included on the live media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwca
    How long are you waiting before you reboot your pc? Depending upon how old your machine is or how much RAM it has it can take awhile for Live media to load and start.
    Uhm i'm actually waiting 1second, after I see the dvd-r station stop buffering(the green light goes off) I just reboot my pc.
    Ive tried waiting longer.

And no my pc is "quite" new, AMD Athlon 4000+ 2.4 GHZ, Ati Radeon 1650 Pro, 2gb DDR 400Mhz.
    It's just that I don't have another dvd-r station to see if it's my station or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ryptyde
    Live media=less packages=faster install=less updates.
    CD/DVD install media=more packages=slower install=more updates.

Now that you have Fedora installed from live media you can use the DVD to get more packages that weren't included on the live media.
    And how do I do that?
    I got just 1 dvd btw.
    I got a dvd-rw I just erased the 64bit Install media and burned the Live cd on it.
    I got more empty rw's anyway.

But how would I install the other packages that are on the dvd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to wait a bit more than 1 second even with a new machine like yours. The Live media is attempting to discover and configure your hardware for use. On my 3 month old machine I have to wait a good couple of minutes before it starts chugging along.

Another thing you may be needing to do is adding a command or two to the boot command at startup due to your ATI card. I used to have to do that with my old computer that had an ATI card whenever I used a Live media CD/DVD. I can't recall what the commands are but you will find them using a search here in the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoex
    Would be curious to know that myself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwca
    You need to wait a bit more than 1 second even with a new machine like yours. The Live media is attempting to discover and configure your hardware for use. On my 3 month old machine I have to wait a good couple of minutes before it starts chugging along.

Another thing you may be needing to do is adding a command or two to the boot command at startup due to your ATI card. I used to have to do that with my old computer that had an ATI card whenever I used a Live media CD/DVD. I can't recall what the commands are but you will find them using a search here in the forum.
    Uhm maybe you could check something out for me, or maybe you know the answer.
    All drives have a green light, does the green light always stays on?
    (After you pressed install fedora and it loads vmlinuz and initrd.img)

I would like to know the command that are being used, but I quite don't know what to search for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a small test and ran the install by booting from dvd, I left it running while it stopped at Loading initrd.img and went to have dinner.

30min later I came back, and it was still on the same spot.
    So I guess it doesn't matter if I wait 30min/1hour or just 1sec before I reboot my pc to restart the installation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoex
    Here's a link to a how to CREATEREPO that should explain the procedure better than I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryptyde
    Here's a link to a how to CREATEREPO that should explain the procedure better than I.
    Thanks, I will try it when I got the time, since it seems to be a long tutorial.