Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2009, 10:11 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Hey Silpheed2K, thanks for the fix. This worked for me also. One note though, although I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it before as I haven't read all the posts in this thread, I had to log out and log back in for the change to take effect. Once I did that all was well. Before I did I still got the popping sound.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:25 PM
EmmEff Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmarcus View Post
I just removed PulseAudio altogether, it was causing me nothing but problems, my sound works perfectly now, except Skype only produces sound using one speaker. Every other app uses both, but when I make a call on Skype, I only hear it out of one speaker. Other than that though, upon removing PulseAudio I lost all of the noise and artifacts I got in my sound. I mean my music would even slow down if I moved a window while it was playing, that's sad.
Can PA be removed without having to force removal of packages? It's been nothing but a pain trying to get it to work properly with MythTV and I had no problems with ALSA/DMIX.
Old 23rd January 2009, 05:51 PM
Silpheed2K Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Hey Silpheed2K, thanks for the fix. This worked for me also. One note though, although I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it before as I haven't read all the posts in this thread, I had to log out and log back in for the change to take effect. Once I did that all was well. Before I did I still got the popping sound.
did you include tsched=0 or leave it out? if you leave it out there will still be some audio issues but it wont lock up if you experienced lock ups. Honestly, I got PulseAudio the most perfect as I know how to get it in this tutorial and I got it excellent in Fedora 9 (which is partially how I made this tutorial).
Unfortunately, I can not do anything beyond what the software is capable of. I feel the PulseAudio developers will have to get it together and clean the glitches out of their software before anything can be done. Or give a proper guide on how to set it up with a default install.
There is nothing more I can do I feel.
Old 28th January 2009, 06:59 PM
tjwhaynes Offline

Recent kernel level seems to have hurt the ALSA drivers

Had a pretty much perfect sound set up until the latest kernel upgrade to 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686. Now the ALSA layer seems to be throwing the system for loops - I see high system time periodically on my Core Duo laptop and Underrun/Rewinds from pulseaudio.

Also, this little gem:

E: module-alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write! Most likely this is an ALSA driver bug. Please report this issue to the PulseAudio developers.

For people cruising around looking for fixes to glitches in Pulseaudio who have successfully run with Glitch-Free Audio enabled, try downgrading your kernel to
2.6.27.12-159.
Old 28th January 2009, 07:06 PM
nightmarcus Offline

So what "is" Pulseaudio and why was it added on top of OSS and ALSA and all these other sound technologies out there for Linux? And why did they add it when apparently 9 out of 10 people have some sort of problem with it?
Old 28th January 2009, 08:59 PM
tjwhaynes Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwhaynes View Post
Had a pretty much perfect sound set up until the latest kernel upgrade to 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.
Finally diagnosed the problem on my system - the new kernel seems to have new version of the Atheros driver which periodically flakes out, locking up the system for short periods of time. This in turn causes ALSA all sorts of timing issues.

So, throwing brickbats at ALSA wasn't appropriate this time - ALSA was the victim, not the criminal.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:02 PM
tjwhaynes Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmarcus View Post
So what "is" Pulseaudio and why was it added on top of OSS and ALSA and all these other sound technologies out there for Linux? And why did they add it when apparently 9 out of 10 people have some sort of problem with it?
PulseAudio is a user-space sound management layer that is capable of low latency audio, device redirection and monitoring (so I can throw my current listening out onto the network, or switch from my internal sound card to the USB sound card).

PulseAudio sits on top of ALSA/OSS and other hardware management layers which do the actual talking to the hardware. I strongly suspect that most people don't even notice it being present on their systems. If you are reading this forum posting, you are probably already having trouble with audio and suspect that PulseAudio may be the culprit. Ergo, you are part of a self-selecting group. So it's likely that the number of people having trouble with pulseaudio is considerably less than 1 in 10.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:03 PM
Lukast Offline

I can confirm flakes out, locking up the system for short periods of time with the kernel 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.

But how did you found that Atheros is the source of the problem?
BTW I have Intel Wireless wifi card.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:04 PM
-DK- Offline

So I have followed the steps here for the sound issue resolution and I'm not sure that it has helped me. I find that occasionally I get static from my speakers even if I'm not using anything sound related. To stop it I have turned the volume for "PCM" all the way down and that has resolved the static and I can still hear anything I play on Amarok or through mplayer. It's odd but I'm not sure what PCM actually is.

Any info here would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I'm using the S/PDIF connection only through my Audigy 2 ZS.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:53 PM
dmyersturnbull Offline

Re:Gedit Not Found

Hey xroox,

The command:
su -c 'gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa'
Is only to open gedit (an editor); you can use any editor you wish. Just replace that line in the file /etc/pulse/default.pa as superuser.

—Douglas

Edit: Wow. I’m kinda dumb: xroox posted six pages ago .

Last edited by dmyersturnbull; 28th January 2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Useless post (I think)
Old 29th January 2009, 04:18 AM
Logik Offline

i upgraded to 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.x86_64 kernel and now I have no sound. I've tried having and removing the tsched=0 with little results

[logik@nv] [~]> pulseaudio -k
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon: No such process

[logik@nv] [~]> pulseaudio --start
E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.

Anyone else having this problem?
Registered Linux User #188638
Old 30th January 2009, 01:50 AM
tjwhaynes Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukast View Post
I can confirm flakes out, locking up the system for short periods of time with the kernel 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.

But how did you found that Atheros is the source of the problem?
BTW I have Intel Wireless wifi card.
I lost wireless connectivity! That and a ton of messages in /var/log/messages about calibration noise floor failures.

ifconfig ath0 down
rmmod ath5k

solved the issue short term. The longer term fix (in my case) was to go to

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Do...heretodownload

and follow the instructions for building the latest and greatest wireless drivers. These new drivers will not delete your existing drivers when they install.
Old 30th January 2009, 02:38 AM
edgar_rice Offline

After working well, my audio once again disappeared. I downgraded the kernel, as mentioned above, and things worked a little better (I was able to play the "Test" sound from the system->system->preferences->hardware->sound dialog), but still nothing from totem.

Note: I use USB audio, and haven't even hooked up the on-board sound.

I went into the BIOS and disabled the on-board sound and things seem to be working just fine!

If you have multiple sound "cards", give that a try.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:39 PM
Avatraxiom Offline

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I used your instructions as the basis of a new answer for fedorafaq.org:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#sound-pops

-Max
Old 30th January 2009, 02:01 PM
dlibby00 Offline

After upgrading from kernel 2.6.27.7-134 I no longer had audio. I previously had the popping and fixed it with tsched=0.

After following the instructions in the first post on this thread I now get the following when I run pulseaudio:

E: main.c: Unknown command: !/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

what on earth does Unknown command: !/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF mean?

I've got an x86_64 machine with an Audigy2ZS sound card.

Thanks in advance!
Closed Thread

Tags
audio, issues, pulse, pulseaudio, sound