Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th December 2008, 10:08 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

Angry Disable Package Kit - PERMANENTLY

Does any one know how to disable package kit? It is not listed in the services list, so i don't see a way to disable it. I do not see it running in the services usually, and even if i do see it, and i kill it, there is still a yum process in the background. If you kill that, something starts it back up, which i believe is package kit, again.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:47 PM
Lindy Offline

Quote:
Does any one know how to disable package kit?
Not to sound like a smart@$$ but ==># yum remove packagekit should do it. Worked for me anyway.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:56 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

Uninstalling it generally seems to always work for me as well. Of course, not installing it in the first place is even smarter.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:02 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

[sudo] yum remove PackageKit

V
Old 9th December 2008, 12:12 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

The trouble is that a lot of different things seem to depend upon it so when I've done that, and then update something else, it gets reinstalled. (Maybe that's changed? I haven't even thought about it in awhile, as I'm usually just using the command line.)
Old 9th December 2008, 12:26 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

Well, i always use the command line; but lately when i get that little notification "Hey! Do you want to down load some stuff!??", i just click yes/install/whatever. I wasn't really talking about 'uninstalling it', just 'disabling' it. Besides, i think that i'm screwed anyway. The whole point in stopping it, was because i can't shut down my computer because i'm 2 days in to transcoding a batch of videos to 264. So, if i shutdown and restart, i will loose progress on the two videos that are currently encoding, which is about 18 - 22 hours of work... But, it would seem that i really have no choice, because i killed the process for package kit and yum both, and now i cannot use yum because it crashes; so, here goes a restart, and SEVERAL hours of lost work...

Thanx anyway guys.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:36 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

Evidently it doesn't like to be uninstalled very much. But, at least it seems that it is gone now.
Code:
Running Transaction
  Erasing        : gnome-packagekit                                         1/1 
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.38:/org/freedesktop/PackageKit: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member "Introspect" error name "(unset)" destination ":1.38")

Removed:
  gnome-packagekit.x86_64 0:0.3.9-8.fc10                                        

Complete!
I never really cared much for it anyway, because id doesn't do like the others, and spit out a list (as text, that you can copy) of the packages that it's installing/removing.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:50 AM
ryptyde Offline

I just go to System>Preferences>Personal>Sessions and un-tick PackageKit Update Applet and that stops PackageKit from automatically checking for updates. You can then use yum, yumex or whatever you normally use whenever you wish.
Old 9th December 2008, 02:34 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

Ok, that is what i was looking for. Thanx guys.

Tags
disable, kit, package, permanently