Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Suggestions & Feedback Have suggestions, feedback or just plain questions regarding FedoraForum.org? Post them here. (We reserve the right to poke fun at you or just ignore them).

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a web development sub-forum?
Yes. Seems reasonable 17 89.47%
No! Just clutters up the joint 0 0%
Maybe. I'll let my vote go to whichever side wins. (added to winning option total.) 2 10.53%
What is "web development" anyway? <....> 1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th December 2008, 07:55 PM
savage Offline

Web Development Forum?

I thought about this a while back, but decided it may not be as useful as first thought.

We have a Programming forum, Wibble, Linux Chat etc. and I sometimes find myself wanting to post a web development related question, i.e. the one I have at the moment is "doing open redirects safely, i.e. /redirect.php?to=url".

Should I post this in programming? It feels a little off-topic for programming with all the hardcore C stuff that goes on in there.

What do you guys think? Would a Web Development forum be an asset to FedoraForums? or would it not get much use? It could be better as Web Hosting & Development, for stuff like this thread.

-- footnote --

I know a lot of you will probably say join a forum dedicated to web development, or even PHP. Speaking for myself only, the only forum I've ever really settled into properly has been FedoraForum, and in general the community here provides everything I need/want from a forum, you're all extremely knowledgeable and respond in the most friendly and helpful ways I've ever seen on public forums, so I prefer to ask my questions here than on other forums.
Old 11th December 2008, 08:11 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmm.

This may be a good idea. Lets let this go a while and see what other opinions turn up.
Old 11th December 2008, 08:29 PM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Good ideal gets my vote

Evening Dan
Old 11th December 2008, 08:32 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Evening, Dave.

I'm thinking so. Gets mine too.
Old 11th December 2008, 08:37 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Savage, if there's the interest and this does happen, please study the other 'descriptions' that each Forum has and see if you can come up with some wording that would be appropriate.

As always, splitting the Forum into smaller pieces is something we try to avoid, as it just means more searching on where to post or find your answers. However, we have created a few new Forums as needed so let's wait for a few days and see the responses.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:28 PM
savage Offline

I agree, see how it goes. The last time I thought about this I held back from posting thinking if people really wanted it, they'd have suggested it already.

Bob: I completely understand, I'll have a think about a descriptive tag for it in the event it does go ahead.

On further thought, I think the "Web Hosting & Development" would be a bad idea, and it should be (if it goes ahead) just web development.

The reason being is that including hosting into the discussion, could confuse the forum with the 'Servers' forum. If someone is hosting themselves, and has a problem with Apache, I'd say that's more suited to servers, as that's where the most knowledgeable people with Apache would be. But 'Web Hosting...' would look more relevant to them.

The sort of things I think it would be suitable for include:
  • Server-side scripting: PHP, JSP etc.
  • Client-side scripting: JScript, AJAX, Flash/ActionScript?
  • CSS problems (i.e. getting a stylesheet working with IE & FF/Opera/Konqueror etc)
  • Design/layout discussions
I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it goes
Old 11th December 2008, 09:39 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
Flash/ActionScript?
my answer:
it's pollution a proprietary non-standard technology... it's against the w3c and the opensource world in general i believe so and i think you're agree also ?

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th December 2008, 09:52 PM
BandC Offline

I am interested in Web Development myself. At first I liked the idea of a separate Web Development forum. Then I looked at the current Programming forum and saw that Web Development related threads don't form a big percentage of threads there. So I think it wouldn't make sense to separate it. How about renaming the Programming forum to "Programming and Web Development" instead? That may help clear up any confusion.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:35 PM
savage Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandC View Post
I am interested in Web Development myself. At first I liked the idea of a separate Web Development forum. Then I looked at the current Programming forum and saw that Web Development related threads don't form a big percentage of threads there. So I think it wouldn't make sense to separate it. How about renaming the Programming forum to "Programming and Web Development" instead? That may help clear up any confusion.
You may have a point there.

The only reason I was thinking of separate is topics such as CSS, configuring CMS's and add-ons don't really apply in 'Programming', and posting in Wibble would lower the chances of a reply.

For just the programming side of it though, I do agree with you. I suppose the question there is, would having such topics posted in Programming step on the toes of those that use the Programming forum? Or make it harder for people to get responses to actual Programming questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
my answer:
it's pollution a proprietary non-standard technology... it's against the w3c and the opensource world in general i believe so and i think you're agree also ?

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That maybe true, but mine and your personal opinion's (of Flash) are irrelevant in this discussion. There are open source implementations of Flash I believe, and they wouldn't exist if people didn't use them, so it is a possible point of discussion for a new web dev forum. Certainly if someone did want to post a Flash/ActionScript question, it would be more suited to a Web Development forum and that is what is being discussed here:

Is there enough community interest/need/desire to have a separate web development forum? and is it worth it considering it's another forum for the CMs to moderate?
Old 11th December 2008, 11:46 PM
Demz

good idea .. im all for it if there are more interest in it
Old 12th December 2008, 08:36 AM
robert-e Offline

I dont do web development, but if it increases traffic here, I imagine I will be able to learn more. I wonder if the CMs might want to kick this around first. I notice that each CM has an area of expertise he tends to look after those particular plea's for help. Bob might have to recruit another CM, unless there is already one who is able and willing to take it on?
On another note...I see that often there are at least 5 or 6 CMs logged on at any given time, and have always wondered how they managed that? Just curious..lol
Regards,
Bob...now wandering haphazardly off to bed.
Old 12th December 2008, 08:43 AM
Demz

just because there are 5 or 6 CM;s or admins logged on, doesnt mean there actually awake at the time there logged on,
Old 12th December 2008, 11:51 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Side note: There's a tremendous lack of coordination and organization that we try to maintain here. In short, there's no planning or scheduling ever involved and most of us are here trying to avoid living productive lives doing important stuff. Of course, Wayne's just waiting for the next customer to signal he's dry.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 12th December 2008, 02:55 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Logged in?!

You mean we gotta log in?

Uh huh.

And just when were you guys gonna get around to telling me that little tidbit of information? <....>
Old 12th December 2008, 03:23 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I think he means he sees we're online--in other words, you open your browser and errm, browse the forums. Then, say, if one of the CM's just spent money they shouldn't have on a truck, they go driving, but their web browser is still open...so they're shown as present and accounted for, but it's an illusion.....

Anyway @robert-e, I think Bob phrased it well when he spoke of our attempts to retain a measure of confusion and lack of co-ordination--hrrm, sounds like me IRL. You'll find one CM posting a warning followed by another--because both were posting at the same time. Sometimes, one is either trashing a spam post or trying to ban that user to find out that another CM is doing so at the same time.

While there are various interfaces that give hints that something is going on, if, for example, as I'm typing this, there's nothing I see that will let me know that Dan is typing something at the same time.

Hopefully, that helps to clarify.