Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th December 2008, 04:18 AM
bp787 Offline

problem with mounting of fat32 USB drive filenames

I am using KDE 4 on F10. I have been digging through KDE and cannot find any option that allows me to set the default mount options via a GUI. as I did in older versions of KDE.

When using Dolphin device notifier to mount the recently plugged in USB device, it sets everything to lower case files when mounting a FAT drive. I can manually mount with the shortname=mixed option, but I really want it to be defaulted to this when using dolphin.

I can set up a mount point for a specific device, but I'd rather let KDE manage this.

This is really annoying.

Thanks!
Old 19th December 2008, 03:19 AM
bp787 Offline

anything? anyone?
Old 19th December 2008, 04:18 AM
mk27 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
I can set up a mount point for a specific device, but I'd rather let KDE manage this.
Well, maybe you can't have everything then! Why don't you just add a line to /etc/fstab and mount it normally (this is why computers have a mouse and a keyboard!)

After all, once your usb is autoloaded properly, the system should really be able to figure out what you intended to do with the files so that you can go do something else instead, and not bother staring at the desktop.
Old 21st December 2008, 06:44 AM
bp787 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk27 View Post
Well, maybe you can't have everything then! Why don't you just add a line to /etc/fstab and mount it normally (this is why computers have a mouse and a keyboard!)

After all, once your usb is autoloaded properly, the system should really be able to figure out what you intended to do with the files so that you can go do something else instead, and not bother staring at the desktop.
I'd RATHER have dolphin pop up a notification, let me click on it, and have it mount it correctly, rather then modifying the fstab, etc... I KNOW I can do that.

So back to my question, can I have KDE/Dolphin mount drives with the shortname set to "mixed" as I did in previous versions of KDE?

Tags
drive, fat32, filenames, mounting, problem, usb