Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2008, 07:21 PM
alexuk Offline

Multiple conflicts following F8 upgrade - any solution?

Hello

I am fully aware this is a general issue but I did an upgrade from F8 on a stable 686 system that had additional packages from livna etc. Much of it is working, including divx filters etc.

However I have lots (>100) dependencies errors if I try to do an update. Sometimes I manage to update packages individually but I was wondering whether there is an automatic procedure I could try and use.

For instance I thought of removing *all* fc8 packages still in the system but even to do that I would need to force the deletion of the pack and then not sure whether a simple update would restore all the ones needed by all other packages (most likely not).

Is there a solution to this or should I wipe the whole thing and do a fresh install, which I'd rather not do?
Old 21st December 2008, 07:41 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:

This is what I would try.

First, check that you do indeed have F10 installed
$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)

Second, disable all non-standard Fedora Repos
meaning just have the following 2 enabled
fedora.repo
fedora-updates.repo

Third
yum -y update yum

Fourth, If you don't have yumex installed, then install it
yum install yumex

The use yumex to select 5 to 10 packages at a time (or less) and see if you can whittle down the gross number of dependency errors. i.e. update everything you can so only the errors are left.

Once you have gotten that far, post the output of

yum check-update
and
yum update

an we will see what we can help you with.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 21st December 2008, 08:12 PM
alexuk Offline

Hi Seve

Thanks for the post.
Yes I am using F10 with Yumex updated with only fc10 and updates repos and have tried updating a few packages at the time first. The number of the ones that have conflict is very large so I thought I'd give up. Hence the post. Both updates you requested generate about 50K files so I'll see if I can do any more updates. But I think I'll save time by doing a reinstall.
Old 21st December 2008, 08:37 PM
bryancole Offline

Might be worth doing "yum clean all". After my upgrade from F8 to F9, the upgrade error'ed near completion. All the F8 packages left over in the yum cache wrought havoc until I purged them.

Tags
conflicts, multiple, solution, upgrade