Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2008, 08:14 PM
joskaefer Offline

playing cds without rhythmbox

Hi

I'm one of those old fashioned people that listens to audio cd, also while working on my computer.
I've recently installed fedora 10 (I had get stuck with fedora 6 before). In fedora 6, I had a very nice & simple gnome cd player that never let me down. Rhythmbox, on the other hand, seems to be more demanding and pauses very often when I'm running heavy tasks on my laptop.

My questions:
- Did the gnome cd player really disappear ? Can't find it in the repositories.
- Does anyone know another simple CD player ?
- Or can I configure rhythmbox differently to make it more suitable for cd playing ?

Thanks !
Old 21st December 2008, 08:49 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Looks like gnome-cd player is gone. How about the gnome-applet-music? I was just looking at that through yumex and it looks like it supports several of the available media players. I think it's a dock type applet. Install that with some of the other media players and it might get you something simplistic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 21st December 2008, 10:49 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

gnome-cd is installed by package gnome-media. Looking at koji, I see packages of gnome-media built for F6 thru F11. My guess is that gnome-media will be in the F10 repos. If not, grab it from the koji link above.

edit: Well, yeah, since I'm running F8 and can't check, it's possible that gnome-cd has been pruned out of the gnome-media package for F10.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 21st December 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 22nd December 2008, 02:38 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

I use either XMCD or the GNUstep CDPlayer, depending on what mood I'm in.
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:37 AM
joskaefer Offline

Thanks !

gnome-cd seems indeed to have disappeared, despite some "you shouldn't" discussions I stumbled on on the net. Too bad !

I don't see what gnome-applet-music would be good for, as it still relies on other players.

I'm happily using xmcd without disturbing interruptions !

If you allow me a general remark : each time I upgrade to a newer version, it's only because of the accumulated bugs that are no longer fixed in old versions.
But then, the new version always looks more and more "windows-like", or "mac-like" : command-line control is getting more difficult, simple programs have been replaced by huge ones that eat all memory and cpu ...
I wonder if this is a gnome, fedora, or general linux trend ... should I try another distribution ?

But, let's not forget, I'm happy with the music I'm hearing now, thanks !
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:24 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I fear the answer is yes to all three-- Fedora, Gnome, and Linux. Let's not forget KDE too.

It becomes harder and harder to find distributions that get out of the way, and where it used to be that you could easily make the trade off between the extra work of doing the configuration yourself or letting the O/S choose usually sane defaults, now the defaults are no longer really sane, nor is it easy to circumvent them.

I think that in part, there's still this myth about the "year of the Linux desktop." I remember seeing a joke about digg in 20 years. The top article was, "Why 2029 will be the year of the Linux desktop." It's not likely to happen and meanwhile, many of the distros, such as Fedora, in an effort, I guess, to attract those seeking an alternative, are alienating their early user base.

Meanwhile, I confess, there is certainly convenience in some of it, and still a few distros around that will be built on Fedora, Ubuntu or something else, and make a nice compromise on not really getting in your way but saving you an hour or so of configuration. There's a new one out, #!Crunchbang, based on a minimal Ubuntu install (and leaving out, among other things, pulseaudio, which is probably a Good Thing(TM) that has an openbox with conky nicely preconfigured, but doesn't fight you if you don't use it. Whereas, both Fedora and Ubuntu seem to fight you if you don't use Gnome. (Ubuntu apparently being worse about that--with Fedora, it's probably more a matter of if you don't use Gnome, KDE, or at best, XFCE.)

But yes, it's a growing trend, and Ubuntu's success shows that apparently many people are using Linux simply because they're fed up with Windows.

One also sees an almost Windows like disregard for the user base as well--again, not just Fedora, but all the others you've mentioned.

Tags
cds, playing, rhythmbox