Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Fedora Focus
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Fedora Focus Come in and have a general chat about Fedora and things relating to Fedora.

View Poll Results: Will you prefer Nix instead of PackageKit?
Yes 2 25.00%
No 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th December 2008, 09:58 AM
fela Offline

Lightbulb Will Yum & PackageKit ever die?

Have you considered the possiblity to adopt Nix as the default package manager for future releases of Fedora? I think it will be the best solution for power users but it could be easily misunderstood by desktop users who are still unsure to choose between fedora and other friendly distros. Nix is very secure and everything you do can be undone but, for example, to update a package you have to do two operations instead of one: install new package, uninstall the old one. This could be a big deal to fight with.

Btw, I *do* will install Nix and my hope is this is the will of every TFE (True Fedora User!)

have nice holydays

Nix

FELA
Old 26th December 2008, 10:04 AM
Demz

http://www.packagekit.org/pk-faq.html might help you understand what Packagekit does an how it performs but packagekit isnt only just in Fedora, its in OpenSuse an Mandriva an i think in Ubuntu but just not default

yum wont die. it'll just improve with the improvement to RPM
Old 26th December 2008, 10:09 AM
Nokia Offline

I think it's too soon to consider comparing apt;aptitude;Synaptic/PackageKit;rpm;yum with Nix.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 26th December 2008, 10:24 AM
Demz

Packagekit isnt even a finished Product they will both improve. but look how long apt has been around compared to yum an then look at how long synaptic has been around compared to packagekit
Old 26th December 2008, 12:44 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
(moved to Fedora Focus - the Suggestions and Feedback Forum is for changes to the Forum itself, not the distro)
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 26th December 2008, 12:53 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

The OP sounds like one of those KDE/Gnome/M$ (take your pick) fellows whose whinging refrain is: 'won't Gnome/KDE/M$ (take your pick) ever die'

What is it with this silly idea that we can only have one solution to something?

I rather like the fact that there are multiple ways in which to deal with package management... and many other things too. Last time I checked the beauty of Open Source was that you had these choices available to you.

Okay. I'm off the soap box now.
Old 26th December 2008, 02:22 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwca View Post
The OP sounds like one of those KDE/Gnome/M$ (take your pick) fellows whose whinging refrain is: 'won't Gnome/KDE/M$ (take your pick) ever die'

What is it with this silly idea that we can only have one solution to something?

I rather like the fact that there are multiple ways in which to deal with package management... and many other things too. Last time I checked the beauty of Open Source was that you had these choices available to you.

Okay. I'm off the soap box now.
Good point. The best thing about PackageKit is that you can easily turn it off.
Old 26th December 2008, 05:24 PM
fela Offline

I think the best is to quote myself...
Maybe I said things in the wrong way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fela View Post
Have you considered the possiblity to adopt Nix as the default package manager for future releases of Fedora?
I said "default" and not "the only". I know that the real power of opensource and linux in general is the possibility to choose and choose the best for you. My guess is which software for package management can really fit the average Fedora user.
Quote:
I think it will be the best solution for power users but it could be easily misunderstood by desktop users who are still unsure to choose between fedora and other friendly distros. Nix is very secure and everything you do can be undone but, for example, to update a package you have to do two operations instead of one: install new package, uninstall the old one. This could be a big deal to fight with.
I'm sorry if something could offend some P.K. lover or also developer... P.K. is to be considered at an early stage of development if compared to other "big", and it can already do very great things in fast and secure way. Btw the sistem is different from Nix because the latter installs new software in a separated directory tree, letting you to use the old one too. If you prefer the newer than you can delete the old version. Can it be possible in PK?
Quote:

Btw, I *do* will install Nix and my hope is this is the will of every TFE (True Fedora User!)
eheh I just said "install" and not "move to"! I'm really looking forward to trying it but this doesn't mean I will remove PK or Yum.

.in summary.
Maybe you can think of this post as:"What's the best fitting package manager for a normal Fedora user in your opinion?"

FELA
Old 26th December 2008, 05:34 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
in summary.
Maybe you can think of this post as:"What's the best fitting package manager for a normal Fedora user in your opinion?"

FELA
<looking around for Richard Hughes> Why Yum and Yumex is the best package manager for Fedora. Until your nix package manager gets developed. Cross distro format is awesome. Cross GUI interface while still using the various different formats is just a waste of time. Just another GUI frontend that does not even work.

But...what do i know, I am just a stupid user...

edit: I may not fully understand what Nix is about i just read another thread where I was under the impression that it allowed managing rpm and deb and other formats on the same distro. This is needed, though I doubt it is truly a feasible idea. If Nix cannot do this then why should I look twice at it? Yumex has worked fine to date and as long as it is continued to be improved I will stick with it in Fedora. Alternately I use Synaptic in deb distros and cannot see any reason to change. Everyone seems to have a better idea for the wheel, all i need is a round wheel that rolls...Not one that is supposed to slice my bread, wash my car, kiss my wife, yet cannot roll because it isnt ready yet...

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 26th December 2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 26th December 2008, 05:43 PM
fela Offline

Uh?
I'm sorry but i can't understand you answer... "Just another GUI frontend that does not even work" which one? Nix? Or PK?
Old 26th December 2008, 05:56 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Uh?
I'm sorry but i can't understand you answer... "Just another GUI frontend that does not even work" which one? Nix? Or PK?
I was referring to packagekit, I have never used nix.

This is the thread I was talking about:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...&highlight=nix

And this is the page thagt was linked to in that thread:

http://www.linux.com/feature/155922

Re-reading this it looks like it just builds source? As Leigh, I think, mentions, the same as Emerge? At any rate, sure, this would be a handy tool to have. Can I critique it before I use it? No, I cannot do that.

As far as PackageKit, I hope they get it working smoothly and if that is what Fedora wants to use then I hope it becomes everything they want. I doubt I will be using Fedora anytime soon and while I use debian I will stick with Synaptic. Until I see an advantage to change.
Old 26th December 2008, 07:13 PM
adrianx Offline

I'm going to install Nix in January because I'm too low on bandwidth to do it this month. (When will the 64bit mirrors for yum-presto be ready?)

I cannot say that I fully understand what Nix is all about, but what attracts me to it is the ability to install different versions of the same package and run those different versions concurrently. Also, the ability to roll back installations. I don't expect those packages to be fully integrated with Fedora as Nix seems to compile and run stuff in its own sandbox/environment (please excuse the layman terms). For me, it's definitely not a replacement for yum/Yumex/PackageKit, it's just an interesting tool/toy that I want to play with..... and not on my "production" machine. Not yet, anyway.

Edit: I have actually already started installing their .rpm for Fedora 9 (living dangerously, I consider F10 production - F9 is history ). The directory that interests me is /nix/store. It contains lots of binaries & libraries that include things like gcc, linux-headers (2.6.23.16), glibc, bash, etc...

Last edited by adrianx; 26th December 2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 27th December 2008, 02:22 AM
marcrblevins Offline

I'll keep using PackageKit cause someone in the Fedora Commitee higher up in the food chain praises this "PackageKit" feature. Redhat/CentOS would follow suit. Maybe Nix is next down the road, who knows.