Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th December 2008, 03:14 PM
len-morgan Offline

Trying to upgrade from Fedora 4 (3?) to latest with CD media (no DVD available)

I'm trying to upgrade a FC-4 system to AT FC-6 and can't find installation media or the ISOs to do that. Unfortunately, I don't have a DVD ROM drive on the server I need to update so I have to use CDs.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get FC-6 UPGRADE ISOs? I upgraded my customer's server about a year ago but left the CDs there (they are a two hour drive away and they seem to have lost the CDs anyway).

All I really need to do is upgrade the Postgres database program from 8.0.8 to 8.1.8 on my server. but the 8.1.X version of postgres is only available for FC-7 or higher.

Since I need to make some changes to the database so I can continue further development of the program but since they have a newer version, I can't test here and then upload the code. For security reasons, I can't connect to their database over the internet (when I make changes, I ssh into the server and then make the changes directly on their machines).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 27th December 2008, 03:57 PM
axet Offline

- backup all usefus services (imap-cyrus, postress, apache, svn...)
- check upgrade instruction for each
- try to upgrade by prepugrade, if fail. remove all and try to recover over fedora 10 sysstem
Old 27th December 2008, 03:57 PM
axet Offline

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgd...ame/preupgrade
Old 27th December 2008, 04:01 PM
len-morgan Offline

Thanks for the info but doesn't preupgrade require FC 7 or better to work?
Old 27th December 2008, 04:05 PM
axet Offline

as i think no, just install it by hands
Old 27th December 2008, 04:09 PM
axet Offline

if your system well installed, have no outside packages\rpm\or old repos you should well upgrated.

preupgrade do simple work, this application remove all packages, old repo info, and install new package versions and new repo info. you can do it by hands but you have chanse to lose your console input\X11 system fail or somting...

i can recomend make yum upgrade from f4 to f7 then, by preupgrade do final upgrade... but in my opiniton - that is not important (for well installed f4)

Last edited by axet; 27th December 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: *this
Old 27th December 2008, 04:21 PM
hephasteus Offline

I'd just download the core 9 cd's and burn those. Then try to go straight to 9 on preupgrade and if it works it works if not you can do fresh install and restore? It looks like to me core 6 and 7 are getting folded into enterprise 6 right now. I know 7 is pretty solid release though. But being able to just download the 9 cd's from torrent is worth giving it a try. That should keep postgress happy for a while. Then you could just go straight to 8.3.5 and be done with it for a while.

Tags
dvd, fedora, latest, media, upgrade