Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th December 2008, 01:04 PM
jpm_power Offline

Compiz Cube problem

With initially installed compiz, cube worked on my laptop with Intel GMA950 graphics, after that I uninstalled that and installed according to leigh instructions as I hoped some plugins which worked under FC6 would start to work under FC10, but it was not the case and I also loose cube efect. As it was not successful I backed to version which is installable through FC10 Add/Remove Software but again no cube.

So now I need help to become cube effect again.
Old 28th December 2008, 01:20 PM
weitjong Offline

I followed the instruction to the dot and experienced the same thing. Without the Fedora default setting in the ~/.gconf/apps/compiz, the compiz-fusion creates a new settings which enables the Desktop Wall (like in Ubuntu) instead of Desktop Cube. If you are *indeed* experiencing the same problem, you can get it back by using the compiz setting manager (ccsm) to re-enable the "Desktop Cube" effect back. It should automatically disable the "Desktop Wall" for you because both of them are mutually exclusive.

Last edited by weitjong; 28th December 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 28th December 2008, 01:57 PM
jpm_power Offline

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2...problemwk8.png

As can be seen, there is selected cube and wall is disabled, it looks to me that ccsm is not working in my case.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:20 PM
weitjong Offline

Have you tried to delete the ~/.gconf/apps/compiz? It could be just your GConf database for Compiz setting is corrupted somehow. It is a long shot. The Compiz setting will be regenerated and hopefully this time it obeys your command.
Old 29th December 2008, 01:07 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm_power View Post
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2...problemwk8.png

As can be seen, there is selected cube and wall is disabled, it looks to me that ccsm is not working in my case.
Try enabling the "rotate cube" plugin
Old 29th December 2008, 01:10 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
I followed the instruction to the dot and experienced the same thing. Without the Fedora default setting in the ~/.gconf/apps/compiz, the compiz-fusion creates a new settings which enables the Desktop Wall (like in Ubuntu) instead of Desktop Cube. If you are *indeed* experiencing the same problem, you can get it back by using the compiz setting manager (ccsm) to re-enable the "Desktop Cube" effect back. It should automatically disable the "Desktop Wall" for you because both of them are mutually exclusive.
I will be changing the default plugins in the next compiz updates so the cube effects are enabled as default.
Old 29th December 2008, 01:31 PM
weitjong Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux View Post
I will be changing the default plugins in the next compiz updates so the cube effects are enabled as default.
You are the man. Thanks in advance.

Now why did I not spot the problem in his screenshot previously? Come to think about it, I did have make this change also in my own settings
Old 30th December 2008, 08:24 PM
jpm_power Offline

Sorry friends, my fault, I was blind, I didn't see in Desktop Effects -> Workspaces on a Cube, it was not checked.

Tags
compiz, cube, problem