Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st January 2009, 03:13 PM
genitumnonfactu Offline

NetworkManager wired network connection "auto" fedora 10

I don't want my computer being connected automatically via DHCP, I want to use a fix IP-address.

The settings of the "auto eth0" connection is not editable with Network-Manager, so I need a hint where to change it manually.

A customised new wired network connection is not very useful, because I have to choose the entry after every login.

Thanks for your help!
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:37 AM
normyzo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by genitumnonfactu View Post
I don't want my computer being connected automatically via DHCP, I want to use a fix IP-address.

The settings of the "auto eth0" connection is not editable with Network-Manager, so I need a hint where to change it manually.

A customised new wired network connection is not very useful, because I have to choose the entry after every login.

Thanks for your help!
One way to do this:

1) System -> Administration -> Network

2) Double click on the 'eth0' item in that list

3) Customize the settings, add static IP, etc. Make sure the "Controlled by NetworkManager" box is *checked*.

4) Hit OK

5) Quit Network Configuration, and when it asks if you want to save, say "Yes"

6) Reboot

You should now have a static IP address. If you don't, please attach /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and the output of /var/log/messages. That'll help figure out what went wrong.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:13 AM
genitumnonfactu Offline

Thumbs up

Hi normyzo,

It worked just the way you described it.

I had only two problems:

1. I had to switch off den Network Manager at all by taking it off the start up sequence and to activate network, otherwise the Network Manager always takes over eth0 .

Code:
chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig network on
2. The network Configuration -> Ethernet Device dialog is buggy. If you save your input, the IP-address of the default gateway address is also saved as subnet mask IP. So you can't get the network up correctly. You have to edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 manually first.

Raoul from the german fedoraforum helped me detecting these problems:
http://www.fedoraforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17119

Thanks a lot! Günter
Old 5th January 2009, 04:30 PM
Duilio Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by genitumnonfactu View Post
Hi normyzo,

2. The network Configuration -> Ethernet Device dialog is buggy. If you save your input, the IP-address of the default gateway address is also saved as subnet mask IP. So you can't get the network up correctly. You have to edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 manually first.
then
yum update system-config-network
to get the correct version.
Old 5th January 2009, 04:40 PM
brunson Offline

Network manager does support manually setting your IP address.

Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy
Old 6th January 2009, 01:57 PM
genitumnonfactu Offline

But always uses the auto-eth0 connection, which uses DHCP to get the IP-address.

Tags
networkmanager