Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:55 AM
Zephyr618 Offline

Trouble booting from USB

I recently installed the Live CD on my USB flash drive from windows. When I tried to boot from the usb drive, nothing happened and my comp just booted up vista from the HDD as it usually does. Why did this happen and what can I do to fix the problem?
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:06 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Assuming that the LiveCD was properly installed, the most likely guess is that you have to do something to your computer's BIOS settings to get it to boot from the USB drive. Usually there's a way to enter setup when you boot--depending upon the computer, there might even be something like boot menu or boot order showing up on the screen when you turn on the computer. Usually you have to hit a key, this depends upon the manufacture--it can be F1, F2, F12, Del, etc.
Old 3rd January 2009, 07:48 PM
Zephyr618 Offline

Sry for not making this clear earlier but I did go into the BIOS to boot from the USB drive...
Old 10th January 2009, 07:09 PM
unholy Offline

scottro is right. but you might have to check your bios settings. booting from usb is not as straightforward as you might think.
this link might help.
http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardwa...omusbstick.php

Bertrand Russell

Tags
booting, trouble, usb