<---- template headericclude ----->
Kernel update stops wireless card working.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    earobinson111 Guest

Kernel update stops wireless card working.

I just updated to the newest version of the linux kernel, from 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 to 2.6.8-1.521, but now my wireless card wont work. I use ndiswrapper to use my card since i could not find any linux drivers. i think its a ndiswrapper or a modprobe problem and here is why.

Code:
    [earobinson@localhost earobinson]$ su -
    Password:
    [root@localhost root]# ifup wlan0
    interface 'wlan0' not found
    ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
    [root@localhost root]# ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5  present
    [root@localhost root]# modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
    [root@localhost root]# ifup wlan0
    interface 'wlan0' not found
    ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
    [root@localhost root]#
    thanks for all your help, anyone else having this problem,

ps is there a good site to see all kernel changes, i googled it but i want the one for fedora, i just want to know what has been changed in each kernel update.

thanks again

earobinson111 Guest
    Ok i have been doing some reading and iI think i have to reinstall ndiswrapper? Is this true, if so how would i go about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you install NdisWrapper for the last kernel, RPM or source? You are going to have to recompile the source and reinstall unless you can find a precompiled RPM.

--SN

earobinson111 Guest
    ok but do u know that that is the fix? or is it modprobe i must install?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SuperNu is quite correct - just do the whole process over again.

The issue you're having is not only are the drivers you built linked to the previous kernel, they're installed in that kernel's directory structure: the newer one doesn't "know" anything about them. Most people, especially those coming from the Windows side, don't realize that when you install/update a kernel, you're literally swapping the "engine" that powers the computer, much like the motor in a car. If you bolted something on to the old motor (e.g. install a driver), you shouldn't expect the same item to be on the new motor...
    Linux User #28251 (April '93)
    Professional Java Geek :cool:

earobinson111 Guest
    Ok then whys all my other hardware work?
    and i used these steps http://www.wearablelinux.org/modules...showpage&pid=1 to get it to work before should i just redo them or reinstall nsdiwrapper
    Last edited by earobinson111; 22nd August 2004 at 06:37 PM.

earobinson111 Guest
    Sorry dident want to sound rude. It was a real question (I like to learn) why do my other drivers work and not this one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earobinson111
    Sorry dident want to sound rude. It was a real question (I like to learn) why do my other drivers work and not this one?
    The kernel includes the modules (drivers) for most hardware. Hardware that is supported by binary only modules (Nvidia and ATI video cards and other hardware) or by modules that aren't part of the kernel yet have to be included manually. Since most of your hardware is supported by the kernel modules, it should work properly on a kernel upgrade. On my system, I have a Nvidia video card, so everytime I upgrade my kernel to a newer version, I have to recompile the Nvidia modules for the new kernel. This is why you have to recompile the NdisWrapper. Hope this helps.

--SN

earobinson111 Guest
    Thanks i understand now

earobinson111 Guest
    Ok i got it all working. cool thing was i only had to reinstall ndiswrapper and not config it. I think that makes sence 2 since ndiswrapper is what linux thinks is the hardware.

imdeemvp Guest
    yes with all the kernels i upgraded to i always have to reinstall some of my drivers that is why is good to always have an extra kernel line that works fine just in case

earobinson111 Guest
    I always keep the last working kernal + the orignal one that came with fc2.