Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th January 2009, 07:29 AM
abhishektux Offline

Unhappy No login screen after reboot in Fedora 10

Fedora 10 was running fine on my friend's laptop.Today when I rebooted the bootloader and bootsplash everything shows up but there is no login screen only a black screen with a blinking cursor.So I went to the terminal and typed startx which gave me errors like
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match the server's version (5)
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match the server's version (5)
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module requirement mismatch,0)

Before that he had installed synaptics and after reboot the whole thing happened.Even doing system-config-display --reconfig doesn't help.The problem is worse because I can't even copy and paste logs here because it has no connection or X server.
I also tried X -ignoreABI command but that makes the whole thing freeze.The graphic card is intel.Well as a bail out option I'm thinking of a format but that would be very painful.
Old 17th January 2009, 08:06 AM
JohnVV Offline

can you boot in using the install dvd in "rescue mode" or with the "live cd " or any live cd .i use a knoippix cd for just this kind of thing .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 17th January 2009, 08:38 AM
abhishektux Offline

I tried that but rescue mode of the fedora 10 dvd took me to a shell.Well I can try booting from an ubuntu live cd but what steps to follow afterwards ?
Old 17th January 2009, 08:46 PM
JohnVV Offline

what was installed "synaptics.i386" or "xorg-x11-drv-synaptics"

Code:
yum install synaptics
Package synaptics is obsoleted by xorg-x11-drv-synaptics, trying to install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-0.15.1-3.fc9.i386 instead
Package xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-0.15.1-3.fc9.i386 already installed and latest version
try removing synaptics.i386 and reinstall "xorg-x11-drv-synaptics" and reinstall the 3d driver ( nvidia or ati) .Using the install dvd in rescue

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 18th January 2009, 05:40 AM
abhishektux Offline

Actually both "synaptics.i386" & "xorg-x11-drv-synaptics" were installed because at that time somehow the
Code:
yum install synaptics
command worked for me.Now I removed both and installed only xorg-x11-drv-synaptics but still the same problem(problem persists even after removing both).I am using intel gma 965GM and reinstalling the driver isn't helping either nor is system-config-display which is giving errors.
Old 18th January 2009, 05:51 AM
abhishektux Offline

I also tried reinstalling xorg-x11-server-Xorg which is now giving me a complete black login screen and I can't even get to the terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt +F1/2/3

Tags
fedora10, intelgma, xorg