Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th January 2009, 03:29 AM
captain52 Offline

Problems in switching desktops

I created two user accounts for myself with the intention of using one with Gnome and using the other with the KDE desktop. (Both desktops are installed.) I also installed the RPMs 'switchdesk-4.0.9-3.fc10.noarch' and 'switchdesk-gui-4.0.9-3.fc10.noarch' so that I can switch desktops. (I really should not need a desktop switcher, this should be an option to set under 'system->administration->Users and Groups' just like setting the shell name for a user, but that's another story. ) Anyway, I ran the desktop switching tool for one of my users and (apparently successfully) changed the desktop from Gnome to KDE. It said I had to restart X-server for it to take effect. Well, nothing changed after restarting X: both user accounts are still running Gnome.

I must have ignored some crucial step. Any idea what I may have done wrong? In general how do fickle users like myself change their desktops when they want something different for while, or who need dual user accounts for dual personalities?
Old 20th January 2009, 04:19 AM
ovadyah Offline

If I understand what you want to do, why not just sign in using the same login and at the sign in (which you get when restarting xserver) and switch the desktop to which ever one you wish ?( the choice is at the bottom of the screen) I do that with f10 cause of some set up problems and other issues which are now resolved.
hope this helps
Registered Linux User #452472

Homebuilt = athlon II x2 F21
Dell Inspiron = Sempron 140 W8
Old 20th January 2009, 04:45 AM
captain52 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovadyah View Post
If I understand what you want to do, why not just sign in using the same login and at the sign in (which you get when restarting xserver) and switch the desktop to which ever one you wish ?( the choice is at the bottom of the screen) I do that with f10 cause of some set up problems and other issues which are now resolved.
hope this helps
Yes this worked nicely thank you.

[As a side note, I should say that I got a real jolt when I logged into KDE desktop with my other user account. This was not anything like the KDE desktops I have used in the past. This is really far out... (I must have gotten KDE-4 by default) Maybe I should unistall it and install KDE-3 in its place. Maybe I should stop flirting with dual desktops in dual accounts, and stick to Gnome the whole time, if this is the future direction for KDE...]

Thanks for your help!
Old 20th January 2009, 03:40 PM
ovadyah Offline

I am glad it worked. I have gone to KDE for several reasons. Looks are only secondary, I have found that my machines and the network, printing etc all work so well together when I have the KDE "software" I have never found a way to get gnome to work in some areas. I may be missing something there and may revisit that at some point.

Glad you are making progress.
Registered Linux User #452472

Homebuilt = athlon II x2 F21
Dell Inspiron = Sempron 140 W8

Tags
desktops, problems, switching