Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th January 2009, 08:10 PM
robert-e Offline

Firefox and Trusted Certificates

I recently read about some sort of forged SSH Certicate, and thought I should have a look at the Certificates stored (in Firefox). I was surprised when I tried to delete an untrusted Certificate (Turktrust..etc) or somesuch. I highlited the entry (the first one on the list), and clicked the delete button. The entry disapeared from the listing, and I went on the delete a few more that showed untrusted or not verified. I then exited the preferences menu, and closed Firefox. I then restared Firefox, and low and behold, the deleted Certificates were back in the listing. I might add that this F10 is updated as of yesterday, and was newly installed about a week ago.
My first thought was that I might need to be root to do this, but that makes no sense. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Regards,
Bob

Edit..I noted by googling this, that Turktrust is probably legitimate; I just wonder why Firefox does not actually delete it, when I click the Delete button?
B

Last edited by robert-e; 28th January 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:40 AM
robert-e Offline

It occurs to me that I should have included FF version. Here it is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121622 Fedora/3.0.5-1.fc10 Firefox/3.0.5

I am using Gnome on F10 and have only software from the repos loaded.

Bob
Old 29th January 2009, 12:48 AM
Jake Offline

Hello, I think they may be default, which is why they cannot be removed, I just doing as you described, and not to my surprise turktrust came back again.

So I think it could be a bug, or it's because they are default. Sorry if this doesn't help much, but it's what I think is happening.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 29th January 2009, 12:56 AM
robert-e Offline

Thanks Jake,
Well, at least I know that it is not just here. I suspect that you are correct; ie. if they cannot be removed by design, then there should not be a Delete option?
I will watch this for a while; I would not be concerned, except for the news of a comprimised Trusted Certificate last week.
Thanks for taking the time to try this.
Best regards,
Bob

Tags
certificates, firefox, trusted