Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 9th February 2009, 11:54 PM
abiko Offline

mp3 and video support in fedora

Hi!
I've installed Fedora 11 alpha, and everything looks nice and stable so far
Can anybody help me with mp3 support? can F10 codecs be used in F11?
Thank you!
Old 10th February 2009, 12:24 AM
Firewing1 Offline

Just a note, the alpha isn't suitable for the average desktop machine - it's a (very early) preview of what F11 will look like. If you're looking for something a bit more stable, I recommend you install Fedora 10 for now.

Anyways, first step is installing RPM Fusion for rawhide/testing releases:
Code:
rpm -Uhv http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
Next, you'll need to install a few gstreamer plugin packages which include the codecs you need:
Code:
yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly
Old 10th February 2009, 12:34 AM
abiko Offline

I know that, I have fc10 on my main machine, this is a machine just for web browsing and it seemed like a nice opportunity to try out fc11 and help in the process.

You were right, this still needs some tweaking

Dependency failed xD
Just a note for others

Code:
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
gpac-libs-0.4.5-3.fc11.i386 from rpmfusion-free-rawhide has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: libssl.so.7 is needed by package gpac-libs-0.4.5-3.fc11.i386 (rpmfusion-free-rawhide)
gpac-libs-0.4.5-3.fc11.i386 from rpmfusion-free-rawhide has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.7 is needed by package gpac-libs-0.4.5-3.fc11.i386 (rpmfusion-free-rawhide)
Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.7 is needed by package gpac-libs-0.4.5-3.fc11.i386 (rpmfusion-free-rawhide)
Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.7 is needed by package gpac-libs-0.4.5-3.fc11.i386 (rpmfusion-free-rawhide)
Old 10th February 2009, 02:01 AM
Firewing1 Offline

Ah, yeah we had a thread on the mailing list about that a week-ish ago... Not sure what's going on there. Are you familiar with how to rebuild RPMs?
Old 11th February 2009, 01:34 PM
Trapper Offline

I was finding the same dependency issues with a number of multimedia apps I tried installing. As of this morning it appears this issue has been fixed.At least for the apps I was having difficulty with, it is. After all the latest updates I can install items such as gnome-mplayer, the gecko-media plugin, etc, now.
Linux User #456254

Fedora 14 desktop on:

BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ 256KB CPU * 1GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM * 160GB Serial ATA HD * 320 GB WD IDE HD * SATA2

Tags
fedora, mp3, support, video