Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th May 2004, 12:08 AM
jdc Offline

Web browsers slow at resolving hosts in FC2

I just installed Fedora Core 2 and now web browsing is very slow with both Mozilla and Konqueror. The browsers take a long time to resolve hosts. When I was using the same DSL connection with Fedora Core 1 web pages loaded fast. Does anyone know of anything that might help?
Old 20th May 2004, 01:35 AM
KiwiNZ Offline

This is an issue with the 2.6 Kernel , I had this with Mandrake 10 CE and could not resolve it . When I reverted to the 2.4 Kernel in Mandrake 10 CE the resolution rate returned to normal ..
There was some fixes suggested on www.mandrakeusers.org but none worked for me.
You may have more success.
Old 20th May 2004, 01:48 AM
KiwiNZ Offline

This maybe usefull

There seems to be alot of this going on lately. The consensus seems to be that ipv6 is causing it. If you want to disable ipv6 you just add the following line to either /etc/modules.conf for 2.4 kernel or /etc/modprobe.conf for 2.6 kernel.

alias net-pf-10 off
Old 20th May 2004, 02:09 AM
Aelfinn Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiNZ
This maybe usefull

There seems to be alot of this going on lately. The consensus seems to be that ipv6 is causing it. If you want to disable ipv6 you just add the following line to either /etc/modules.conf for 2.4 kernel or /etc/modprobe.conf for 2.6 kernel.

alias net-pf-10 off
Wow, that fixed the speed. But now, with the speed issue resolved, the Java popup window doesn't load the applet.

I guess I need to disable all the security items in order to locate which one is causing the problem....if that's the problem.

Thanks for the speed fix.
Old 20th May 2004, 02:46 AM
Aelfinn Offline

Looking through the E*Trade website I found that the system requirements do not include Linux or Macintosh. And I noticed that when I tried to load the applet on a different WinXP machine it required activeX. I think I may have hit a dead end.

The speed fix worked though. Thanks KiwiNZ.
Old 20th May 2004, 02:56 AM
jdc Offline

I added alias net-pf-10 off line to /etc/modprobe.conf and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Tags
browsers, fc2, hosts, resolving, slow, web