Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th February 2009, 06:19 AM
DennyCrane Offline

Please tell me if I am misreading this or looking in the wrong place?

We just got a new dedicated server at work and I had noticed some seeming inconsistencies with that which was proposed (with a very hefty price tag). I noted that the CPU model number noted in Plesk is not that which was in the quote (actually, I think it's better), and the primary hard disk shows as 400GB as opposed to 500GB in Plesk. So I SSH'd in and tried the df -h command (never used before), with this output:

Code:
# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
simfs                 400G  2.4G  398G   1% /
none                  2.0G  4.0K  2.0G   1% /dev
simfs                 400G  2.4G  398G   1% /var/named/run-root/var/run/dbus
We are also supposed to have a 1.5TB backup disk. Am I missing something? It looks like we have two 400GB disks. I don't really understand what simfs means or why the third one is mounted in an obscure(?) directory.

All this, combined with the fact that they originally installed version 8.6 of Plesk (we were supposed to get 9), and I had to tell the boss I wasn't sure if we even got the right hardware. So he gently asked his contact at Netsonic about it and he kind of flipped out, but didn't offer any explanation.

I'm not saying my suspicions are necessarily justified, because I'm still kind of new to Linux and server administration, etc. Can anyone explain where I might be wrong or right?

Oh -- the Netsonic guy did mention something about the primary hard disk had 100GB for "overhead" -- does that sound like it makes any sense? Shouldn't I be able to see the entire thing from SSH as root? Maybe the fact that it's a "Virtualized" Dedicated Server has something to do with it (the whole thing is ours -- this isn't a shared box with "Virtual Private Servers" on it)

Last edited by DennyCrane; 19th February 2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 19th February 2009, 04:59 PM
DennyCrane Offline

No one has any clue?