Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st September 2004, 12:20 PM
code_monkey Offline

Video capture problems

I've dug through a load of threads on this issue and still can't seem to be able to capture video from my camcorder. So far I've done the following:

1. Followed the details on the following thread How to create DVD from Home Movies
2. Put the modprobe statements into my rc.local file
3. Tried to install gscanbus
4. Installed cinerella

And nothing seems to work, I can't capture using dvgrab, gscanbus wont even compile and Kino freezes whenever I try to view my preferences.

If anyone has any pearls of wisdom please let me know.

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2004, 10:56 AM
code_monkey Offline

I've done some more digging around I've found this in my system log file, not entirely sure what to do about it though???

Sep 2 10:50:58 cpc1-stap2-5-0-cust176 kernel: Badness in ohci_hw_csr_reg at drivers/ieee1394/ohci1394.c:3154
Old 2nd September 2004, 03:09 PM
code_monkey Offline

Okay so I've got gscanbus working (ish)... I have all of my modules loaded, I'm using the latest kernel (2.6.8-1.521) and I've added the following into my /etc/modprobes.conf file:

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

gscanbus will display my ohci1394 controller and clicking on it will give me it's details, plugging in my camcorder will bring it up in gscanbus and display it. When I click on the icon for additional info it hangs, when I close (or kill) the application it will not load back up again and I can't kill the processes, even as root. My machine is dual bioot with Win2K (boy do I want rid of it) and I can access my camcorder through that so I know the hardware is fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome as I am really starting to tear my hair out with this one, and I don't have to much of it to start with
Old 22nd September 2004, 06:39 PM
rob666 Offline

Hello,
I hate to bump, but I have the exact same problem. Nobody seems to be answering questions on the kino forum, so I thought I might ask here.
I even tried installing kde to try it there. That didn't work either.
Any ideas, Rob
Old 26th September 2004, 09:02 AM
code_monkey Offline

Still no luck on this, I've identified my chipset for my firewire card () which appears to be supported, I know that the camcorder works with that chipset because I can use it in windows. I'm starting to wonder if there are issues with the 1394 modules but I can't find anything to confirm that.

I've also loaded up the dynebolic live cd and get the same problems with that as well, and that is using a 2.4 kernel.
Old 27th September 2004, 06:59 PM
rob666 Offline

still no luck

Hello,
well, kino is finally capturing. I did this by loading the newest kernel for fedora which seems to have some more 1394 support. But After I finish capturing there's an av/c failure and kino crashes. Which is ok since at least the captured files are saved and I can open kino again and work with them but still isn't the best. Any ideas out there.
Rob
Old 27th September 2004, 07:45 PM
tashirosgt Offline

code_monkey,

What kernel version are you using?

Did this thread settle anything?
http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthr...light=firewire

I haven't tried video capture, but I am interested in your problem, because I want to try it.
Old 27th September 2004, 07:46 PM
taylor65 Offline

Kino works fine with the kernel that installs from the FC2 CDs. If you've added all 3 lines in rc.local to get firewire working, there shouldn't be any problems. I installed kino from either yum or synaptic (don't remember which). I haven't had any problems with it in FC1 or FC2. I've taken at least 25 tapes and converted to DVD.

My process to get kino to work:
1 - Install everything from FC2 CDs
2 - Modify rc.local
3 - Install kino via yum or synaptic
4 - Install dvdstyler (get source and compile)
5 - burn DVD with k3b

Two things to notice here - I didn't upgrade my system after installing FC2 CDs, and I didn't install kino manually (I used an automated process to resolve dependencies). If this process doesn't work for you, then maybe you're downloading a newer version of kino (I'm using 0.7.3).
Old 28th September 2004, 09:54 AM
code_monkey Offline

I've tried both the 2.6.5 kernel that fedora installs from the FC2 CDs and the 2.6.8-1 kernel installes via up2date. I installed Kino via yum along with any other software with the exception of gscanbus which I installed from an rpm, all of the 1394 modules installed from the FC2 CDs. Here are the lines from my rc.local file just in case I've messed something up somewhere:

/sbin/modprobe ieee1394
/sbin/modprobe raw1394
/sbin/modprobe ohci1394 attempt_root=1
/sbin/modprobe video1394

chmod 666 /dev/raw1394

One thing I have heard lately is that JVC don't completely stick to standards when it comes to Firewire and I can't find any details on their website or any other regarding my camcorder.
Old 5th October 2004, 02:20 AM
TEC Offline

Can't modprobe ieee1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_monkey
2. Put the modprobe statements into my rc.local file
Cheers
I can't even get that far. When I try to use Kino to capture my new Panasonic PV-GS400 I'm told:

"WARNING: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write /dev/raw1394!"

But when I try "modprobe ieee1394" (or any of the other commonly mentioned 1394 modules) I'm told they don;t exist. If I do "yum install libraw1394" from the DAG RPM repository, I'm told that libraw1394 already exists and is current.

/dev/raw1394 exists too.

Reading around suggests that some people have got this to work straight out of the FC2 box, so I don't know where to start. (When I installed FC2, I did an "absolutely everything" install.)

Hmm?

tec
Old 9th October 2004, 08:54 AM
code_monkey Offline

I had that to start with as well, I can't remember what I did exactly but I think I was missing some of the 1394 modules and their "-devel" packages. To be honest I preferred that message, at least it gave me an error now all I get is kino crashing when it tries to connect to my camcorder!!!

Scary thing though, I dual boot with Win2K for legacy stuff, it is using a default ochi1394 compliant driver for my firewire card and can connect to my camcorder so I know my hardware is working. I can still only think that there is something wrong with the way that my system is trying to connect to my JVC. I've done more digging around and it almost appears that my camcorder never existed???

Tags
capture, problems, video