Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 27th February 2009, 02:47 AM
measekite Offline
Banned

Thumbs up Enable Advanced File Permissions Dialog in Nautilus.

I am comparing the support system in Ubuntu with the support system in Fedora.

Here is the scenario.

I have been using Ubuntu for over two years but found out what I will document in this post just today.

I really never liked the dialog in the file permissions tab in nautilus when I rt clicked on either a file or a folder. I found that it is sort of Microsoft like in that the effort to make it more simple for users that do not have a clue made it more ambiguous for users who have more of an idea of what they are doing.

So I was doing searches in the Ubuntu forum and also in google. I got referred from google to timbuntu.com and saw that there was a way to get Advanced File Permissions Enabled that gave a much better presentation for file permissions.

I tried it out by cutting and pasting the command but it did not work. The other instructions were also not clear to me so I went back to google.

The first reason for the post.

I then came up with UbuntuGeek and saw the following verbage:

If you feel more comfortable to achieve the goal through a GUI way. Here you go:

1. press Alt+F2
2. type gconf-editor and <Enter>
3. from the left pane in the pop-up window, choose app -> nautilus -> preferences
4. go to the right pane, find out the show_advanced_permissions, check the box on its right
5. close the window, done.

This did work.

Now the other reason for the post.

Since I am considering going to fedora (11?) in may or F10 sooner I want to evaluate the level of support for fedora in and out of this forum.

So I did more searches via google and found nothing. Then I did searches here in this forum and nada. So if not for some Ubuntu support I would never have found out this information.

Now, after my post, other fedora users will know about this since I posted this information.

This will not stop me from going to fedora since even though it was on an Ubuntu support site it was directed as gnome and nautilus so it will work for every distribution.

So there is much Linux support either for Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora or any other distro that is totally transparent to the distro.

Still I would like to find out more places for fedora support than this forum.

Tags
advanced, dialog, enable, file, nautilus, permissions