Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th March 2009, 05:04 AM
jdrouin Offline

udev rules, ip6tables, and boot problem

Problem:

I installed some audio utilities (I think) in my new Fedora 10 system and then on my next reboot I got a string of udev rules errors, followed by a failed ip6tables, followed by an inability to log into Gnome.

The hundreds of udev lines read like this:

Code:
udevd[722]: add_to_rules: invalid rule '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules:1002'
udevd[722]: parse_file: line too long, rule skipped '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules:10024'
They scroll up the screen and then booting proceeds as normal, with the only failure line reading as follows:

Code:
ip6tables: Applying firewall rules: Can't open /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables: Permission denied   [FAILED]
Once booting ends and I'm in GDM, I click on my username in order to log in, but get a system beep and the error:

Code:
Unable to authenticate user

Attempts

I entered the system by going into repair mode from the install DVD and doing chroot /mnt/sysimagel. I tried various things I saw on this forum, such as trying Paavo's commands to regenerate the persistent udev rules listed in this post:

Code:
# echo add > /sys/class/net/eth0/uevent

This is what re-generated 70-persistent-cd.rules (I think):

# udevtest /sys/block/sr0
I use eth1 (eth0 is an integrated mobo NIC that stopped working), so I included that in the echo command. For the udevtest command I tried both sr0 and sr1, since I didn't know if that part of it corresponded to the NIC.

Just to see what would happen -- since I don't understand this problem at all -- I did a chmod 777 ip6tables just to see if for some reason that would fix the boot permissions error, and of course it didn't.

So, does anybody know how to fix this? I'd love to get my computer working again without doing a fresh install.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Tags
boot, ip6tables, problem, rules, udev