Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th March 2009, 11:36 PM
HMSS013 Offline

Low Volume With Fedora 10 / Intel HDA v.iMac

having troubles with sound in Fedora 10 on my iMac (Intel HDA)

alsa mixer volumes maxed out (yes, including 'surround') and verified through alsamixer...

...and yet the audio functions at maximum all sound is still barely audible...

i realize this is one of many similar problems but after searching for similar troubles i have yet to resolve this issue.

any suggestions?
Old 13th March 2009, 07:13 PM
HMSS013 Offline

so nobody here has any experience using F10 on an iMac?!

...or is it that after 3 years in the community i'm still too n00b to get honest help?!
Old 13th March 2009, 08:39 PM
deepclutch Offline

I also have a ALC662 Hda-Intel onboard card(Asus P5GC-MX/1333).To get Volume ,I have to drag all the respective sliders to maximum position in Gnome Volume Control.
I haven't updated fedora(my 2 days old installation this is!) yet.but what cat /proc/asound/version says is alsa version is 1.0.17 which is kind of OLD.

One Possible Solution I remember is ,to go to http://atrpms.net and download the latest alsa-drivers,kmod for your distro(depending on 32-bit~X86 or 64-bit~x86_64) and try .
http://atrpms.net/dist/f10/alsa-driver/

I have had my try with Ubuntu Intrepid also in that matter.after pulseaudio ,installed latest alsa-1.0.19 driver,utils ,libasound etc and finally even compiled alsa driver module(1.0.19) using module-assistant(a nifty tool in Debian based distros) for the current kernel in Ubuntu.still ,I haven't seen any improvements.

So ,This problem has much to do with Pulse audio?First of all ,most HDA-Intel hardware users are frustrated on this issue.not you alone.cheer up.their will be a permanent solution to this ,Hopefully.
Old 14th March 2009, 02:01 PM
weitjong Offline

I have a similar problem with Intel HDA but on eeePC, so I am not sure whether it is relevant to your hardware. But anyway, here was what I do to get the "full" volume.

Like you already know, in the gnome-volume-control max out the volume slider, but the trick is to do that on the right "device". On my eeePC, I have a few mixers under Device drop down list. There is one for "HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)" which the default. But in my case, it it the second device called "Realtek ALC269 (OSS Mixer)" that does the trick to increase the audio volume. It only contains one slider called "In-gain". See if you have something similar under the Device list.

You can do it via alsamixer as well by adding option "-c 0", "-c 1", "-c 2", etc, respectively, to iterate through each device.

HTH.
Old 16th March 2009, 07:40 AM
weitjong Offline

Just read it from another thread regarding this subject. Alternatively, you can try to install "aumix". I haven't tried it myself, but it is said that this application will also reveal the volume slider that holds the volume level down.

Last edited by weitjong; 16th March 2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16th March 2009, 08:24 AM
Wayne

Moved to Mac & PPC
Old 19th March 2009, 06:01 PM
HMSS013 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
I have a similar problem with Intel HDA but on eeePC, so I am not sure whether it is relevant to your hardware. But anyway, here was what I do to get the "full" volume.

Like you already know, in the gnome-volume-control max out the volume slider, but the trick is to do that on the right "device". On my eeePC, I have a few mixers under Device drop down list. There is one for "HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)" which the default. But in my case, it it the second device called "Realtek ALC269 (OSS Mixer)" that does the trick to increase the audio volume. It only contains one slider called "In-gain". See if you have something similar under the Device list.

You can do it via alsamixer as well by adding option "-c 0", "-c 1", "-c 2", etc, respectively, to iterate through each device.

HTH.
all sliders on all devices are unmuted and at maximum volume... sound is still barely audible. including all sliders that are hidden by default... including 'in-gain' ...

Last edited by HMSS013; 19th March 2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 19th March 2009, 06:14 PM
HMSS013 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitjong View Post
Just read it from another thread regarding this subject. Alternatively, you can try to install "aumix". I haven't tried it myself, but it is said that this application will also reveal the volume slider that holds the volume level down.
aumix... revealed no slider that did not exist on the alsa mixer...
Old 20th March 2009, 07:13 AM
weitjong Offline

Just curious what kind of speaker do you have? There is this thing called speaker impedance. But I guess I should shut up now. Until I own a Mac myself, I cannot help you much. Passing the baton to other Mac owner....

Tags
fedora, hda, intel, low, vimac, volume