Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th March 2009, 04:38 AM
tdcrooks Offline

VirtualBox ping issue

Hey everyone,

Running Fedora 10, I installed CentOS 5 in Virtualbox, but I can't ping the Virtual Machine...

From within CentOS, I can ping my laptop [known as the host?] but from the laptop I can't ping the CentOS Virtual Machine. I tried turning off the firewall on both too... CentOS was able to access the internet through my laptop right away without any configurations too.

Unless someone has an idea to resolve the above, I am also wondering about something else VirtualBox-related:

To see if it was possible to get around the above issue, I was going to install another CentOS virtual machine to see if I can get them to communicate both ways [if at all], but to do so, I think I have to install CentOS AGAIN on another allocated amount of hard disk space. This will take some time, so I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to just create a quick duplicate of the previous installation, if you wanted 2 different virtual installations of the same OS.

Thanks for any ideas.

I'm heading towards a career in Linux and I'm looking to learn as much as possible, so your answers to my questions are appreciated.

Registered Linux User: #468950

http://rootblock.wordpress.com

Last edited by tdcrooks; 10th March 2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10th March 2009, 05:07 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

To answer your questions in reverse order, to duplicate a machine copy its vdi file and when creating the machine choose that for the hard disk. I usually just stick them in ~/.VirtualBox, though the location might have changed now to ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks.

As for the networking issue, the default method is NAT networking. Pinging won't work, nor will the host be able to reach the guest. The guest should be able to reach the host through ssh and can also probably reach the Internet. You have to choose host networking in the network section of settings--take a look at the manual (you can access it by going to help in the main VirtualBox menu. That has drastically improved lately--one used to have to set up a bridge and tap interface, but now it's just a mouse click.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 29th December 2010, 05:54 PM
Jay See II Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: VirtualBox ping issue

In response to Scottro's answer, I am using VirtualBox 3.2.12 and I had to select "Bridged Networking" for my VM,s to ping each other. You definitely put me in the right direction, though. I had done everything like turn off firewalls, etc., but the truth came out in the iptables in this case. So, with that said, if selecting "host networking" doesn't work, then select "Bridged Networking. It worked for me anyways... Thanks for your feedback.

Tags
ping, virtualbox