Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th March 2009, 02:17 AM
hiberphoptik Offline

permit required for sheetrock???

Just had a home built and the builder did all the wiring and plumbing and framing down in the basement which passed all the inspections of course, as well as fully finishing the bathroom.

Now all I need to do now is hang sheetrock on the two other rooms down there and paint do I really need a permit for this?

It depends on where you live but the internet searches have been no help and friends, and friends of friends who do construction for a living say I do not need a permit for sheetrock but I want to double check.

If I was doing any electrical, plumbing, framing, etc I know I would need one but just drywall seems like a "just do it"
Old 12th March 2009, 02:47 AM
rpstitz Offline

It depends on where you are. Location, location, location! If you are out in the country and are working on your own stuff, then odds are you don't need a single permit to build a whole house. That's the case where I am. In some towns (like one I used to live in) you have to have a permit to build a doghouse...really. Call your local police department and ask for the code enforcement officer. He/she can tell you what all of the ordinances are in your area and what permits are required.
Richard P Stitz - Linux user #447562

If you are experiencing problems, please consider filing a bug report. Without these reports, it is unlikely that the cause of your problem will be addressed by the developers.
Old 12th March 2009, 05:44 AM
pwca Offline
Banned

Building codes exist on the Federal, State, County and City levels in the U.S.

Most building permits are issued by LOCAL authorities.
Most building inspections are done by LOCAL authorities.

In most jurisdictions the county building code and permit enforcement people are located in the same office as your county tax assessor. Even if they're not (in YOUR jurisdiction) the county tax assessor's office will be able to provide you with the necessary phone numbers for acquiring permits and getting inspections.
Old 12th March 2009, 05:54 AM
marcrblevins Offline

Basement? Wait before you go that far. Is the basement in-ground?

Can you put a 24 inch square of plastic on the concrete floor overnight.

In the morning, check to see if its damp on top. Some basement maybe have too much moisture, things get moldy etc.
Old 12th March 2009, 03:26 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrblevins View Post
Basement? Wait before you go that far. Is the basement in-ground?

Can you put a 24 inch square of plastic on the concrete floor overnight.

In the morning, check to see if its damp on top. Some basement maybe have too much moisture, things get moldy etc.
the basement is in ground, and its bone dry down there. I think I might just go down to the county building and pay the $ for a permit unless they tell me I don't need one.
Old 13th March 2009, 01:50 AM
fused Offline

If you should need a permit to install your drywall and you do not get it, sometime in the future when you attempt to make a claim, it is possible that your insurance company may deny it for lack of that permit. Taking into account the current economic mess, you can bet your bottom dollar they will do their best to not pay off.

Fused - usually con, but not on this.