Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th March 2009, 12:15 AM
nilayasundar Offline

updates for fedora 9 without internet

Is it possible to update fedora 9 without internet (after installation) (something like service packs in windows). I'm a newbie. Please help with links and complete details. no shortforms please .
Old 14th March 2009, 01:23 AM
JohnVV Offline

the short answer is NO
there are about 600 meg to over 3 gig of updates depending on what you installed ( basic or full install )

connect to the net .

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 14th March 2009, 01:33 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilayasundar View Post
Is it possible to update fedora 9 without internet (after installation) (something like service packs in windows). I'm a newbie. Please help with links and complete details. no shortforms please .
you could get someone to download all the RPM's you need an burn them onto DvD/CD an then cd to your dvd drive or cdrom an then install them but in full as John has said you really do need internet connection as yum needs to pull in dependencies for Programs you have
Old 14th March 2009, 04:12 AM
nilayasundar Offline

I have internet connection on my laptop but not with the desktop which has fedora installed. And i also have a DVD writer and an USB as well. But where do i find the rpm and how do i identify that these are the ones i'm looking for. In windows it would just be service pack 1, 2 and 3. Any similar rpms in fedora as well. The problem with internet is that i only have a wifi internet shared with modem out of my reach for a wired internet.
Old 14th March 2009, 05:26 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilayasundar View Post
I have internet connection on my laptop but not with the desktop which has fedora installed. And i also have a DVD writer and an USB as well. But where do i find the rpm and how do i identify that these are the ones i'm looking for. In windows it would just be service pack 1, 2 and 3. Any similar rpms in fedora as well. The problem with internet is that i only have a wifi internet shared with modem out of my reach for a wired internet.
my suggestion would be to network the computers together , to find the rpm's in a fedora mirror http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/10/ you could aalways download the rpms on your laptop an burn them to DvD then install them that way
Old 14th March 2009, 05:29 AM
JohnVV Offline

it will be hit and ( mostly) miss .I think that ,for the most part, every single program has had an update to it . Without yum to straiten out the dependencies , it will be "fun" . you might want to start with the new kernel use yum with the -- localinstall option then work through the never ending list of dependencies.
but use the fedora 9 mirrors
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/pub...Fedora/9/i386/

linux is not windows and there is no such thing as a "service pack"
there is a fedora respin using jigdo downloader
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/unity/f...verything-spin
or a torrent file
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/unity/t...081217-re-spin
they were updated to December 17, 2008 .

you best option is to temporally connect the desktop to the net and run a update

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10

Last edited by JohnVV; 14th March 2009 at 05:32 AM.

Tags
fedora, internet, updates