Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th March 2009, 02:55 AM
juanfgs Offline

Keyboard lag on Wine and native games

Hello, it's been a while since I posted here :P.

I'm having a strange issue since I upgraded my PC hardware, on some games after playing from a while the keyboards starts lagging (with a lot of lag ). However if I quit the game the lag stops immediatelly (no lag on the command line or GUI) and I can restart the game normally.
For example today I've finished playing Quake 4 (almost during an hour) without a problem but I started Quake Wars and before even finishing a match it started lagging like crazy.
This seems to be happening more often when I play a game through wine than native games .

I don't know if the upgrades that I did to the PC may be causing this problem(or maybe there is bug on the new hardware's drivers) but I'll list them here:

Before:
Motherboard:NF61SM2 Biostar (chipset Nforce)
RAM: 1GB
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 796MB

After:
Motherboard: N61PB-M2S Biostar (chipset NForce)
RAM: 2GB (2 banks of 1 GB at 800Mhz)
Monitor: FLATRON L177WS LG (this is highly unlikely to cause the problem)

I didn't change the Processor, it's a AMD 64 3800+ Dual Core, I'm running an up to date i386 Fedora 10 installation.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by juanfgs; 14th March 2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 15th March 2009, 04:09 AM
tparker Offline

Did you re-install the OS and games or move your old harddrive to the new system unchanged?
Old 16th March 2009, 12:29 PM
juanfgs Offline

I didn't reinstall, I usually work on this computer too, so I don't reinstall to often. However everything else works OK
Old 16th March 2009, 04:31 PM
tparker Offline

Do you have SCIM enabled? It can mess up keyboard input through wine. (In case you need it: System>Preferences>Personal> 'something about input or keyboard', sorry I deleted all of SCIM so I can't see the wording anymore )

Also some versions of libgxim can cause input problems, I didn't need it for anything so I deleted it (SCIM is one thing that uses it). If you have something else that needs libgxim just be sure you are not using 0.3.2-4, 0.3.1-anything should not have the lag issue. (the command to check what version you have is: rpm -q libgxim )

No promises, but those two fix my keyboard lag and insanity issues, might be worth checking.
Old 16th March 2009, 04:44 PM
juanfgs Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparker View Post
Do you have SCIM enabled? It can mess up keyboard input through wine. (In case you need it: System>Preferences>Personal> 'something about input or keyboard', sorry I deleted all of SCIM so I can't see the wording anymore )

Also some versions of libgxim can cause input problems, I didn't need it for anything so I deleted it (SCIM is one thing that uses it). If you have something else that needs libgxim just be sure you are not using 0.3.2-4, 0.3.1-anything should not have the lag issue. (the command to check what version you have is: rpm -q libgxim )

No promises, but those two fix my keyboard lag and insanity issues, might be worth checking.
SCIM seems to be disabled, I'll try to remove libgxim as you say

Thanks, I'll let you know if it worked.
Old 16th March 2009, 04:55 PM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

Well, since it's Wine, any strange behavior should be "expected"

Did you configured Wine so that it bypasses the native window manager? If so, try using your native WM: in Wine settings (winecfg) -> Graphics -> "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" and "Allow the window manager to control the windows". I've had problems with Warcraft III's keyboard control under Wine and this seemed to do.
Old 16th March 2009, 05:04 PM
juanfgs Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleph View Post
Well, since it's Wine, any strange behavior should be "expected"

Did you configured Wine so that it bypasses the native window manager? If so, try using your native WM: in Wine settings (winecfg) -> Graphics -> "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" and "Allow the window manager to control the windows". I've had problems with Warcraft III's keyboard control under Wine and this seemed to do.
It's not only on wine but also on native games too. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the CPU load as it doesn't happen until I've played for a while (and more often on CPU intensive games).
Old 17th March 2009, 02:56 AM
aleph Offline
Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!

if it's happening everywhere, probably it's an X problem.

The recent updates of the Xorg X11 server has a lot of buzzing about keyboards... Just guessing it's related to your problem.
Old 17th March 2009, 08:05 PM
giant03 Offline

I was having the same problem as juanfgs and tried removing SCIM and the libgxim as suggested by tparker. I seemed to work as I had no issues with it last night with keyboard lag. Thanks for the fix!

Now if I could only get rid of the lag in game from switching workspaces...
Old 17th March 2009, 08:19 PM
juanfgs Offline

I forgot to try that one , I'll uninstall libgxim now
Old 19th March 2009, 04:24 PM
juanfgs Offline

It worked, last night I could play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (on wine) for a couple of hours without a problem.
Thanks!

Tags
games, keyboard, lag, native, wine