Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th March 2009, 10:04 PM
dmyersturnbull Offline

effect errors in Compiz animation plugin

Hi,

Using Compiz's animation plugin, only the open and close effects work. When any entries are listed under the "Animation Selection" for Minimize, Focus, or Shade; the animations do not play; and I receive a libnotify error: "Animation settings mismatch in 'Animation Selection' list for __<Minimize or Focus or Shade>___ event."

This happens even with the Animation Selection values reset—and even the entire Animation configuration reset. I use the Gconf backend, but this also occurs with a file-based configuration. This has never worked for me. But now I want to solve it

My xorg.conf:
-------------------------------
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection
Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/fglrx"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSectionSection "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Mobility Radeon HD 3400
ATI audio, revision 620, claimed by HDA Intel driver
Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M, claimed by tg3 3.94
Broadcom BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n wireless, claimed by Broadcom’s proprietary drivers
SATA Western Digital 250GB @ 5400RPM
Fedora 10 32‐bit with separate ext4 / and /home and encrypted /secure
I always check updates immediately before posting.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:13 AM
dmyersturnbull Offline

Unhappy

Anyone there?
… no one?
… :`(
Old 5th July 2009, 07:26 AM
WayOfTheIronPaw Offline

These effects worked fine for me on F8, and I was disappointed when they stopped working in F10. Instead, the default fade effect configured by F10 seemed to override anything I specified in the Settings Manager. So I struggled with it for a few hours and then gave up for a few months.

Not more than 10 minutes ago I decided to see if anyone had been able to fix it and came across your post, where you mention the backend. I have been using the flat file backend, so I decided to try switching to GConf (yes, I know it makes no logical sense, based on the fact that you say you have used both), and lo and behold, suddenly my Magic Lamp minimize effect is working. (The effect changed to a Zoom (I think) and then I toggled the Animations and Animations Add-On plugins and the effect became the Magic Lamp that I had configured.)

So, as you would expect, Compiz is getting its settings from somewhere - either the flat file or GConf. For me, there must be something conflicting in the flat file; some hang over from an earlier version of Compiz that is confusing the minimize effect. I think that switching to the GConf backend, which I had never used before, caused Compiz to create a consistent set of settings in the GConf backend, based on those that it understood from the flat file backend. It then used the consistent set, and ceased being confused.

My advice to you, to fix your problem, would be:
  1. Configure things the way you like using the flat file backend.
  2. Install and run gconf-editor, and clean out the Compiz settings from wherever they occur.
  3. Switch over to using the GConf backend.
  4. Finally, go back and make sure the settings match what you originally desired, possibly toggling the Animation plugin to make sure it is reset.

EDIT: On further investigation, it seems that all of my customisations were lost when I switched the back end, and I am now going through and redoing all of them. Let's pretend like my comment above reflects that reality.

Last edited by WayOfTheIronPaw; 5th July 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:42 AM
antaka Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile

My first contribution...
had similar problem and have been searching for a solution. Played with flat file and gconf backends with no luck.

For me min/shade/focus effects were failing while the others were not. Looks like there is a bug in compiz when reading a list of one entry. decided to add another entry to each one of the failing effects and guess what???

Now it works just fine for me... hope this would help you guys out there

Regards

Tags
animation, compiz, effect, focus, minimize