Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th September 2004, 08:33 PM
Ned Offline

Fast downloads but VERY slow uploads

Hi,

I have an ADSL line in the UK with 576kbps download and 288kbps upload speeds.

On my lan I have a mixture of FC1, FC2 and WinXP boxes connected throught a netgear DG834 modem/router.

All machines are fine on download speed but the linux boxes are all only getting about 28-30kbps upload speeds (about 10% of what they should). The Windows box is fine on both download and upload speeds.

This is on 3 seperate linux boxes using both FC1 and FC2.

I've only just noticed this problem having just set up the vsftpd FTP server on one of the FC2 boxes and obviously people trying to download from this server are getting horribly slow speeds or are just getting time out errors

IPv6 is off and I've tried various different kernel versions with the same results.

Any Ideas?

Ned

Last edited by Ned; 6th September 2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 6th September 2004, 08:41 PM
gablaxian Offline

30kbps is the max upload speed for ADSL. If linux is hitting that, then I don't see a problem.
Old 6th September 2004, 08:50 PM
Ned Offline

No, that's 30 Kbits per second I'm getting, not 30 Kbytes per second. I'm only getting ~3Kbytes per second upload (10% of what I should). It's fine on the windows box so I know what I can get, I'm just not getting it on ANY of my linux boxes.

Ned
Old 9th September 2004, 10:39 PM
yoav Offline

same thing here

I am seeing a similar thing here.

The FC2 machine is connected to a T1 network, yet I can only upload with about 20KB/s. Both scp and ftp behave the same. The connection also stalls quite frequently.

Interestingly, if I open several connections simultaneously, they do not affect each other.
For example, I was able to split a big file that I needed to send into 20 pieces, and to send them all together achieving an average upload rate of around 400KB/s. This also shows that there is no problem with the connection itself.

I tried with different kernels from 2.6.6 to 2.6.8 and they all behave the same way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yoav

Tags
downloads, fast, slow, uploads