Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 17th March 2009, 04:26 AM
Krellan Offline

Talking Howto: Install Skype (dynamic) on Fedora 12 64-bit

I downloaded and installed Skype on Fedora 12, 64-bit, and it came up just fine.

I recommend the dynamic version, since it makes use of the existing system libraries that are managed by Fedora. This will minimize any potential library conflicts.

All that is needed is to make sure you have all the 32-bit versions of the libraries Skype requires.

Using the "ldd" command, I analyzed the library requirements of the "skype" program. So that you don't also have to do this, I crunched the results into a giant yum command.

Become root (enter root's password when prompted):

Code:
su
Now that you are root, cut and paste this, all on one line:

Code:
yum install alsa-lib.i686 dbus-libs.i686 e2fsprogs-libs.i686 expat.i686 fontconfig.i686 freetype.i686 glib2.i686 glibc.i686 keyutils-libs.i686 krb5-libs.i686 libcap.i686 libgcc.i686 libICE.i686 libpng.i686 libselinux.i686 libSM.i686 libstdc++.i686 libX11.i686 libXau.i686 libxcb.i686 libXcursor.i686 libXdmcp.i686 libXext.i686 libXfixes.i686 libXi.i686 libXinerama.i686 libXrandr.i686 libXrender.i686 libXScrnSaver.i686 libXv.i686 openssl.i686 qt.i686 qt-x11.i686 zlib.i686

:
The yum command should be all on a single line!

Scroll all the way to the right, if you have to, in order to cut and paste the entire line all at once.

Please ignore the little ":" mark I put at the bottom. I had to do that, in order to work around a forum bug that was making it difficult to cut and paste a very long single line.

Every library is "i686" version

Answer "yes" to any questions the yum command asks you for, if prompted.

Assuming it works, close that terminal window. You don't need to be root anymore:

Code:
exit
Now, you can install the dynamic version of Skype, and it should work. Go here:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

Choose "Dynamic", near the lower left of the box in the middle of the page.

You will download this file:

skype-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2

Now, open up a new terminal window, and "cd" into the directory that you downloaded Skype into, and extract and run Skype.

I'm assuming it's your Desktop. If you downloaded the file somewhere else, change these instructions accordingly.

Here's commands to run, as a normal user (be sure you have closed your old root window first, you don't need to be root anymore, and in fact it will cause problems if you try to run Skype as root):

Code:
cd ~/Desktop
tar -jxvf skype-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2
cd skype-2.1.0.81
./skype
The Skype program should come right up, since you now have all the libraries.

In the main Skype window, hit the "S" in the lower left corner to bring up the menu, then choose Options.

Skype sound device setting:

In Skype, go to Sound Devices. I recommend setting your sound devices to something that contains "plughw:default,0" in its name. Do this for all 3 choices: sound in, sound out, and ringing. Choose the name of your device that best matches the hardware you want to use. Definitely avoid generic single-word names like "default", "hdmi", "pulse", and so on.

Make sure the "Make a test sound" button works. If you can't hear anything, your sound device might have began muted, we fix that next.

Fedora volume control setting:

In the main GNOME desktop menu (upper left area of your screen), open System/Preferences/Hardware/Volume Control. Choose the name of your hardware that matches what you chose in Skype, with "(Alsa mixer)" at the end of it. Avoid choosing anything that has the name "(OSS mixer)" or "(PulseAudio mixer)" in it!

The volume control window appears. Click on Playback. Crank volume to 100%. If there's an "X" in the speaker icon just below the volume control, click on it, to unmute the sound. Now click on Recording. Crank volume to 100%. If there's an "X" in the speaker icon or the microphone icon just below the volume control, again, click on them to unmute the sound. There should be no "X" anywhere, in either playback or recording.

Now, Skype "Test Sound" should work. If it's too loud, adjust volume to your preferences.

Skype video settings:

In Skype, go to Video Devices. Try selecting your webcam from the list, and hit Test. It worked for me the first time! Fedora has really improved their webcam support in this latest release. Almost every known webcam should work now.

Now, you're ready to make a call. Call "echo123" first, to make sure your sound works. Call your friends, to make sure your video works

Running Skype easier, as a clickable desktop icon:

I'll leave this for somebody else to fill in. One thing that's important, you must "cd" to the directory where Skype was installed to! If you aren't in that directory when you run Skype, then Skype won't be able to access any of its built-in resources, so things like ringtones and other sound effects won't work.

Running Skype at startup, automatically:

Again, I'll leave this for somebody else to fill in. I never did get the hang of running things at startup under GNOME....

Last edited by Krellan; 17th March 2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Cleared up closing of window and cut and paste
Old 8th April 2009, 03:01 PM
mcl Offline

Awesome post. Thanks for helping me get Skype going. Just thought I'd post a couple of things that I did differently.

Running Skype from the command line helped me understand what was missing from a PulseAudio point-of-view. I kept seeing the following:
Code:
Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
I installed the alsa plugin for PulseAudio with the following
Code:
yum install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i386
That allowed me to configure the sound settings in Skype to use the "pulse" entries for both input and output. The sound's a bit shaky, but usable. I haven't tried using the direct hardware settings as per the original post - they may perform better.

I also installed pulseaudio-core-libs.i386, but I don't think that's necessary.

Also, I'm using the Fedora 7 RPM, and it seems to be okay so far.
Old 19th April 2009, 05:34 PM
paulcscheung Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellan View Post
I downloaded and installed Skype on Fedora 10, 64-bit, and it came up just fine.

I recommend the dynamic version, since it makes use of the existing system libraries that are managed by Fedora. This will minimize any potential library conflicts.

All that is needed is to make sure you have all the 32-bit versions of the libraries Skype requires.

Using the "ldd" command, I analyzed the library requirements of the "skype" program. So that you don't also have to do this, I crunched the results into a giant yum command.

Become root (enter root's password when prompted):

Code:
su
Now that you are root, cut and paste this, all on one line:

Code:
yum install alsa-lib.i386 dbus-libs.i386 e2fsprogs-libs.i386 expat.i386 fontconfig.i386 freetype.i386 glib2.i386 glibc.i686 keyutils-libs.i386 krb5-libs.i386 libcap.i386 libgcc.i386 libICE.i386 libpng.i386 libselinux.i386 libSM.i386 libstdc++.i386 libX11.i386 libXau.i386 libxcb.i386 libXcursor.i386 libXdmcp.i386 libXext.i386 libXfixes.i386 libXi.i386 libXinerama.i386 libXrandr.i386 libXrender.i386 libXScrnSaver.i386 libXv.i386 openssl.i386 qt.i386 qt-x11.i386 zlib.i386

:
The yum command should be all on a single line!

Scroll all the way to the right, if you have to, in order to cut and paste the entire line all at once.

Please ignore the little ":" mark I put at the bottom. I had to do that, in order to work around a forum bug that was making it difficult to cut and paste a very long single line.

Every library is "i386" version, except for glibc, which strangely is "i686".

Answer "yes" to any questions the yum command asks you for, if prompted.

Assuming it works, close that terminal window. You don't need to be root anymore:

Code:
exit
Now, you can install the dynamic version of Skype, and it should work. Go here:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

Choose "Dynamic", near the lower left of the box in the middle of the page.

You will download this file:

skype-2.0.0.72.tar.bz2

Now, open up a new terminal window, and "cd" into the directory that you downloaded Skype into, and extract and run Skype.

I'm assuming it's your Desktop. If you downloaded the file somewhere else, change these instructions accordingly.

Here's commands to run, as a normal user (be sure you have closed your old root window first, you don't need to be root anymore, and in fact it will cause problems if you try to run Skype as root):

Code:
cd ~/Desktop
tar -jxvf skype-2.0.0.72.tar.bz2
cd skype-2.0.0.72
./skype
The Skype program should come right up, since you now have all the libraries.

In the main Skype window, hit the "S" in the lower left corner to bring up the menu, then choose Options.

Skype sound device setting:

In Skype, go to Sound Devices. I recommend setting your sound devices to something that contains "plughw:default,0" in its name. Do this for all 3 choices: sound in, sound out, and ringing. Choose the name of your device that best matches the hardware you want to use. Definitely avoid generic single-word names like "default", "hdmi", "pulse", and so on.

Make sure the "Make a test sound" button works. If you can't hear anything, your sound device might have began muted, we fix that next.

Fedora volume control setting:

In the main GNOME desktop menu (upper left area of your screen), open System/Preferences/Hardware/Volume Control. Choose the name of your hardware that matches what you chose in Skype, with "(Alsa mixer)" at the end of it. Avoid choosing anything that has the name "(OSS mixer)" or "(PulseAudio mixer)" in it!

The volume control window appears. Click on Playback. Crank volume to 100%. If there's an "X" in the speaker icon just below the volume control, click on it, to unmute the sound. Now click on Recording. Crank volume to 100%. If there's an "X" in the speaker icon or the microphone icon just below the volume control, again, click on them to unmute the sound. There should be no "X" anywhere, in either playback or recording.

Now, Skype "Test Sound" should work. If it's too loud, adjust volume to your preferences.

Skype video settings:

In Skype, go to Video Devices. Try selecting your webcam from the list, and hit Test. It worked for me the first time! Fedora has really improved their webcam support in this latest release. Almost every known webcam should work now.

Now, you're ready to make a call. Call "echo123" first, to make sure your sound works. Call your friends, to make sure your video works

Running Skype easier, as a clickable desktop icon:

I'll leave this for somebody else to fill in. One thing that's important, you must "cd" to the directory where Skype was installed to! If you aren't in that directory when you run Skype, then Skype won't be able to access any of its built-in resources, so things like ringtones and other sound effects won't work.

Running Skype at startup, automatically:

Again, I'll leave this for somebody else to fill in. I never did get the hang of running things at startup under GNOME....
I have problem install Skype dynamic on my x386 F9, Would the above code work with F9 ?
Old 26th May 2010, 01:23 PM
chaud lapin Offline

linuxsafari
Re: Howto: Install Skype (dynamic) on Fedora 13 64-bit

I've used the instructions above to install Skype under Fedora 13 64-bit. The only change is that the 32-bit packages now have a different suffix: i686. The yum command to install them is then:

Code:
yum install alsa-lib.i686 dbus-libs.i686 e2fsprogs-libs.i686 expat.i686 fontconfig.i686 freetype.i686 glib2.i686 glibc.i686 keyutils-libs.i686 krb5-libs.i686 libcap.i686 libgcc.i686 libICE.i686 libpng.i686 libselinux.i686 libSM.i686 libstdc++.i686 libX11.i686 libXau.i686 libxcb.i686 libXcursor.i686 libXdmcp.i686 libXext.i686 libXfixes.i686 libXi.i686 libXinerama.i686 libXrandr.i686 libXrender.i686 libXScrnSaver.i686 libXv.i686 openssl.i686 qt.i686 qt-x11.i686 zlib.i686
Alas, Skype no longer recognizes my webcam, but I suppose that is a different problem.
Old 28th May 2010, 04:08 AM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Howto: Install Skype (dynamic) on Fedora 10 64-bit

Hi
I am having a similar problem. The Webcam is recognized by the program "cheese" which take photos of items in its view plane. Why does it not show Video within Skype? I am using F12 and a 64 bit machine.
Any help would be much appreciated on getting the Webcam (Logitech) working within Skype.
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Old 28th May 2010, 04:24 PM
chaud lapin Offline

linuxsafari
Re: Howto: Install Skype (dynamic) on Fedora 12 64-bit

I just found this on the Ubuntu forum which may be of help: [64-bit] Get a webcam working with Skype

It is more than two years old, don't know whether it is still relevant. I am going to try it this weekend. If you have any luck please let us know.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM CDT ----------

Here is a more recent thread
No Video on 64-bit Linux
Old 30th May 2010, 04:05 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaud lapin View Post
I just found this on the Ubuntu forum which may be of help: [64-bit] Get a webcam working with Skype

It is more than two years old, don't know whether it is still relevant. I am going to try it this weekend. If you have any luck please let us know.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM CDT ----------

Here is a more recent thread
No Video on 64-bit Linux
Hi chaud lapin
Still no joy. Webcam works on cheese but still not Skype. I am still plugging away but no luck. The webcam is picked up in the settings within skype but still not working. See attached.

Addendum:Found a command <LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype > and it gets me into a "white screen of death" and although starts skype still not a perfect solution. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skype.png
Views:	217
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	19597  

Last edited by robertdaleweir; 30th May 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:36 AM
Imaginenz Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I got skype working (both audio and video) in Fedora 13 64-bit by doing the following (YMMV):

Previously mentioned in this thread:

Also:
yum install libv4l.i686

Create repo file:
gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/skype.repo

Put into skype.repo:
[skype]
name=Skype Repository
baseurl=http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/fedora/updates/i586/
gpgkey=http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/infosys/phone/skype/rpm-public-key.asc
gpgcheck=0

Install skype:
yum install skype

Start skype using the command (this is what made video work):
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Hope this helps!!

PS. My webcam is:
046d:08ad Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate STX

Last edited by Imaginenz; 31st May 2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add webcam info
Old 31st May 2010, 12:26 PM
chaud lapin Offline

linuxsafari

using yum to install libv4l.i686 and starting Skype like this: env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype fixed things for me.

Imaginenz: a HUGE thanks!!
Old 31st May 2010, 12:31 PM
kurzer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks, now video works in skype for me, too.

For always opening skype with this command I did the following (as root)

1. move the original /usr/bin/skype to /usr/bin/skype.prog
2. make a new text file called /usr/bin/skype with just the command in it: env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.prog
3. make the new file executable: chmod +x skype

now, when starting from the gnome menu the webcam works as well
Old 31st May 2010, 04:06 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi
Thank you for this help. I will attempt to get it working and I will post back here when I finish. Cheers...
Old 31st May 2010, 05:24 PM
sej7278 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

i just changed the skype shortcut to "env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype"
Old 31st May 2010, 10:07 PM
j26d Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've followed above instructions but there seems to be problem with installing 32 bit libraries. I get the following error message:
Transaction Check Error:
package nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.4-19.fc13.x86_64 (which is newer than nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.4-17.fc13.i686) is already installed

I've also tried installing skype using rpm, autoten and by adding skype repository. Every time there is some problem. Any ideas ?
Old 31st May 2010, 10:57 PM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by j26d View Post
I've followed above instructions but there seems to be problem with installing 32 bit libraries. I get the following error message:
Transaction Check Error:
package nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.4-19.fc13.x86_64 (which is newer than nss-softokn-freebl-3.12.4-17.fc13.i686) is already installed

I've also tried installing skype using rpm, autoten and by adding skype repository. Every time there is some problem. Any ideas ?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=245886&page=2

post #12
Old 31st May 2010, 11:21 PM
j26d Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
That fixed the problem, thanks a lot

Tags