Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st March 2009, 06:50 AM
locustmage Offline

What live cd and boot options need for i7 with 12gbs of ram?? :)

I was wondering what kind live cd i should use for a Dell Studio XPS with an i7 940 with 12 gbs of RAM i have an ATI Radeon HD4670 with 512 mbs of Graphic Memory. Cant seem to find the actual network controller, but it has an intel 82567f-2 Gigabit Network "connection" ( weird vista) The only reason i need a live cd is so i can see what other hardware works. like tv tuner card( hauppage hvr-1250) (right now anyways) soon to be ATI TV wonder external. but right now im just mainly worried about it reading the 8 cores and the 12gbs of ram... Im guessing id need special boot options on the live cd if i can even do it with my system... Thanks
Old 22nd March 2009, 07:13 AM
marko Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustmage View Post
I was wondering what kind live cd i should use for a Dell Studio XPS with an i7 940 with 12 gbs of RAM i have an ATI Radeon HD4670 with 512 mbs of Graphic Memory. Cant seem to find the actual network controller, but it has an intel 82567f-2 Gigabit Network "connection" ( weird vista) The only reason i need a live cd is so i can see what other hardware works. like tv tuner card( hauppage hvr-1250) (right now anyways) soon to be ATI TV wonder external. but right now im just mainly worried about it reading the 8 cores and the 12gbs of ram... Im guessing id need special boot options on the live cd if i can even do it
with my system... Thanks

Just use a x86_64 based Live CD and you'll be fine, that should assure it sees all the memory
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:19 AM
locustmage Offline

oh ok. i wasnt sure if i would need special boot options... but ill see if it works. at worst its just a waste of a cd. But i would think it should work
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:44 AM
Nokia Offline

You need a special video card, unfortunately. Nvidia based.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:21 AM
sej7278 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokia View Post
You need a special video card, unfortunately. Nvidia based.
huh?

the ati will work fine, dunno about the hauppauge tv tuner tho.
Old 10th April 2009, 03:40 AM
locustmage Offline

I must need some special boot option for it because it loads the Blue bar across the bottom but then stops. Ive gotten it to install inside a virtualbox and i burned the cd at the lowest speed so im not sure whats wrong.Ive kinda been out of the loop of linux for a bit. With this new computer ive had to deal with some issues with dell haha.. yeah. it was my only option. normally id buy the pieces and build it myself, but didnt have the money.. This is only 125 a month. so i cant complain too much. Anyways, ive been wanting to get back into it more. but id like it better if i could do all sorts of stuff at the same time like on Window Vista. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11th April 2009, 02:30 AM
zackf Offline

You need go ahead and send me that system, I'll make sure and test it real good for you... honest mister!

Tags
12gbs, boot, live, options, ram