Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 31st March 2009, 12:15 AM
Kotr Offline

Where is xorg.conf/Touchpad not working

I installed Fedora 11 Rawhide on my Eee PC, and I don't have a xorg.conf.

I ran:
locate xorg.conf, and it came up with a man page, and that was all.

I don't really NEED it, but since I updated from the Alpha to the latest Rawhide, my Touchpad won't let me tap to click. I used Gsynaptics, but it doesn't seem to save my settings after I reboot. So I have to start it up after I boot and re-enable tapping.

Can I just create xorg.conf myself, and will Fedora see it?
Is there some way to get my touchpad working? Everything works except tapping.
With the latest evdev and xorg, getting touchpads working with Hal and Xorg and all that stuff has been a pain.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:22 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

This is a feature (starting with F10), not a bug: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...06&postcount=2

Consider installing a stable version of Fedora, either F9 or F10. Rawhide (F11 Alpha/Beta) is for testing only. Moved to "F11 Alpha/Beta".

V
Old 31st March 2009, 12:32 AM
Kotr Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
This is a feature (starting with F10), not a bug: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...06&postcount=2

Consider installing a stable version of Fedora, either F9 or F10. Rawhide (F11 Alpha/Beta) is for testing only. Moved to "F11 Alpha/Beta".

V
Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure how you consider that a feature.
I don't see any reason to take away xorg.conf.
Maybe I've just been using Gentoo too much.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:38 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I personally don't necessarily agree or disagree with the decision to not generate a xorg.conf file by default, but the Fedora Project "powers-that-be" have made that decision. To the best of my understanding, X11/Xorg is supposed to be able to auto-detect hardware and run using that info and default settings. And xorg.conf can still be generated manually if needed, as you see.

Please consider contacting the Fedora Project directly if you feel strongly about this issue: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate

V
Old 31st March 2009, 01:02 AM
Kotr Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
xorg.conf can still be generated manually if needed, as you see.
So how do I manually generate a xorg.conf? Like I said earlier, and just create it in /etc/X11? Fedora will see it and load it?

It would be really handy to be able to see the current xorg.conf so I can edit the part I want, and not have to rewrite the whole thing. I'm worried I'll break KMS or something.

So, since this worked before updating, do you think it's just the cause of an updated kernel? I've also had this problem using Arch, which was later fixed in a kernel update. I fixed it way before that by rolling my own kernel. Can I roll my own kernel on Fedora? I don't think anything is stopping me, but I'm not sure if KMS or Plymouth will like that.
Old 31st March 2009, 01:05 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotr
So how do I manually generate a xorg.conf?
See link in Post #2. Requires a re-start of X11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotr
Can I roll my own kernel on Fedora?
Yes.

I don't know the answer to your other questions, hopefully someone else more knowledgable comes along.

V
Old 31st March 2009, 02:51 AM
Kotr Offline

Weird, I manually created a new xorg.conf using Xorg -configure :1, and now it works.

The only things I changed from the default was I turned on UXA and DRI. And I turned on CorePointer in the Mouse Section.

I seem to have broken two-finger scrolling now. I'll keep messing with xorg.conf. I haven't even set up Synaptics.
Old 31st March 2009, 04:54 AM
MetaCarpal Offline

I found this really great page showing configuration options for the touchpad using HAL. I use portions of his example on my system, and it works exactly as I like.
Old 31st March 2009, 05:51 AM
Kotr Offline

Yeah, that whole hal thing has always confused me.

I did find that there was a bug report about this, and as I suspected, it was a kernel issue.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=492163

This exact same thing happened to me with Arch Linux when they were switching to 2.6.28.
I could try this hal thing, since I did get tapping working with just a new xorg.conf, but it broke two-finger-scrolling.

I'm using the kernel from the F11 Alpha now, and both scrolling and tapping are working. Tapping does not work on the latest kernel in rawhide.

Edit: I'm not sure if that hal thing will work, since I don't technically have a synaptics touch pad, it's an elantech. Not having the elantech driver in the kernel is what's causing the problem.

Tags
working, xorgconf or touchpad