Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th September 2004, 01:44 PM
jsvandehoef Offline

Unhappy FC2 - Minimal installation - How further?

Hello,

I am very new to Fedora (normally I run Slackware) and I run into problems installing extra packages after a minimal installation of Fedora Core II.

So I have done a minimal installation of Fedora Core 2 and I want to add some new packages to my system. Normally I work in Midnight Commander, so I search for that RPM package and I start: "rpm -i mc-4.6.0-15.rpm".
Just after starting the install of MC, I am bombed with dependencies. So I search all the packages for those files mentioned... after a while I am installing almost all the xorg packages just for installing a simple package like MC???

Is there a way to automatically install those dependencies or is there a simple way to look for those files (needed by a package) to install those dependencies???

Best Regards,

Jeroen
Old 9th September 2004, 05:48 PM
taylor65 Offline

There are mulitple ways to have an automated way of adding packages and their dependencies, but I found the easiest is via the gui-based program Synaptic. Here's the how-to:
http://fedoraguide.org/contributors/...ic-how-to.html
Old 9th September 2004, 07:52 PM
butters Offline

you can use yum it installs all the needed libs and stuff automaticly
registered linux user #455466
Old 9th September 2004, 09:10 PM
imdeemvp Offline

this may help you configure your yum.conf to install stuff you may need:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

and also if you want to install extra fedora stuff that you didnt install during installation go to System Settings >Add/Remove apps

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Last edited by imdeemvp; 9th September 2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 13th September 2004, 03:09 PM
jsvandehoef Offline

Thanx guys... I will look at "yum".

With a minimal installation of Fedora, no X windows is installed. So the other options, I can't use...

Tags
fc2, installation, minimal