Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:11 AM
mitchellray Offline

No root login allowed at login screen - Fedora 10

Hello,
I have installed Fedora 10.
After boot, when the login screen appears, I can log in as ordinary user, but root can not log in.
root as well as su can log in on terminal and when requested for authorization once in the desktop environment.
I previously ran FC5 and could log in, switch user, and change desktop all from a single login screen.
What happened?
Thanks.
M
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:19 AM
Simian Man Offline

They disabled root login on gdm. This has been discussed to death, a search should turn up fixes. Though you really shouldn't need to login as root through the GUI.
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:13 AM
mitchellray Offline

True, I do not have to login as root in gui

Hello,
Thank you for the response.
There seems to have been some improvements since the older version I used (FC5) and some of those improvements are a tad bit inconvenient.
That older version was good enough to keep if it hadn't become a problem using rpm packages.

I'll try another search on this subject to see if this time I can find the solutions you refer to.
M

Tags
allowed, fedora, login, root, screen