Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:30 AM
shunk Offline

Display issue with Fedora 10 guest in VirtualBox

I have Fedora 10 i386 running as a guest in Virtual Box on a Windows XP SP3 host.
I have the latest Virtual Box (2.2.0) Fedora 10 is also fully updated.

Even after installing Virtual Box Additions, I am not able to set the resolution to more than 800x600. Mouse Integration works though.

When I try to launch system-config-display, it exits giving this output in the terminal

Quote:
File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 312, in <module>
hardware_state = XF86HardwareState(xconfig)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rhpxl/xhwstate.py", line 174, in __init__
self.init_from_xconfig(xconfig)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rhpxl/xhwstate.py", line 260, in init_from_xconfig
if screen.device:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'device'
Could someone please provide a way for me to change my resolution?
On two occasions I have been asked, “Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?” I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage
Old 23rd April 2009, 03:21 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Can you switch between fullscreen mode and back with 'right ctrl+F', I found that doing that fixes display issues for me.
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:21 PM
shunk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Can you switch between fullscreen mode and back with 'right ctrl+F', I found that doing that fixes display issues for me.
That worked. Thanks. But I am still not able to open system-config-display.
Any thoughts on that?
On two occasions I have been asked, “Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?” I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:48 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunk View Post
That worked. Thanks. But I am still not able to open system-config-display.
Any thoughts on that?
Delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf first or type:

Code:
system-config-display --reconfig
Old 24th April 2009, 08:23 AM
shunk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf first or type:

Code:
system-config-display --reconfig
I tried the command you suggested. Sure enough it worked.
But its not the effect I intended.

I think when Virtual Box Additions are installed, it makes changes to the xorg.conf file that enables window mode, full screen mode and seamless mode. But the file becomes incompatible with system-config-display.

When I ran "system-config-display --reconfig", it created a new xorg.conf file which prevents seamless mode from working. Also the maximum resolution I can set is 1024x768 (even in full screen mode) although my LDC panel supports upto 1440x900.

I installed VBox additions again and it restored the xorg.conf file. All three display modes work correctly now. I can set upto 1024x768 in window mode and 1440x900 in full screen mode. Seamless mode also works correctly. Also system-config-display is working now.

Maybe manually editing the xorg.conf file would make both system-config-display and seamless mode happy. I lack the expertise for that though.

Thanks for your help.

PS: This is first time I am trying Fedora 10 as a guest, I find the seamless mode pretty cool.

Last edited by shunk; 24th April 2009 at 09:14 AM.

Tags
display, fedora, guest, virtualbox