Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2009, 09:18 PM
jdeslip Offline

How bad do you want Netflix in Linux?

Original Article: http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=99
Digg It: http://digg.com/linux_unix/How_bad_d...tflix_on_Linux

How bad do you want Netflix on Linux? Do you want it enough to beg Microsoft for it?

Miguel de Icaza recently revealed in his blog, http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009...omment-9068857, that Netflix won’t be coming with Moonlight 2.0 (as was largely anticipated) unless Microsoft actively intervenes and ports its DRM stack to Linux.

Miguel suggested that we put some pressure on Netflix and Microsoft directly, asking that they do this. There was a thread created on the Silverlight forum pleading with Microsoft to port its DRM stack over. So far, the responses on the thread vary between desperate sob stories and cookie cutter anti-MS attacks.

What is the solution to this mess? Clearly, Netflix shouldn’t have chosen an engine that doesn’t have cross-platform support for its streaming video service. But, what can Linux Netflix users do now? Well, you could cancel your account, as many are suggesting. But, I like the Netflix regular disc service too much for that. You can run an XP virtual machine in VirtualBox. This works quite well. However, firstly, it isn’t really linux, and secondly, it doesn’t really help people running Boxee or MythTV (i.e. me). netflix_logo1

Is it better to compromise our principles a bit to get a service we really want? Should we boycott Netflix until they change services? Perhaps we should just spin around in circles and cry because we are so confused… Ok, that is just me, again.

Last edited by jdeslip; 14th May 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:10 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

In a scale from 1-10?
-99,999,999,999 badly.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 14th May 2009, 10:18 PM
Jake Offline

hmm, I don't want it at all and have no desire for it :-)
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 14th May 2009, 10:24 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Easy decision here.

No fuss, no muss, no bother, no boycott. Just cheerfully tell them why, and then drop the account like a hot rock ... and walk away. Will it have any significant effect on their bottom line? No. Linux users are currently far too small of a market-share to be thought of as more than a fringe element. Reality is what it is. Microsoft® owns the entertainment desktop.

So, if you've just got to have those movies -- smile and grab your ankles. If you can live without them -- welcome to consumer empowerment. "No!" is a stunningly liberating word.

Solution "B?" Go find a company who respects their customers. All of them. Including the Linux nut-ball fringes.

You will have no effect on NetFlix® nor their policies one way or the other. They consider you expendable, and in the cold harsh glare of the real numbers ... you are. So you must make you decision for its effect on you, not them. The difference between being ... when someone asks you if you've really got the stones to stand up for your principles ... you won't have to hook your thumbs in your belt, stick out your chest, bluster up ... and lie straight through your teeth.

Besides, if they're not worth standing up for ... why call them "principles?" Better then to call them "situational negotiating tactics." Or, perhaps just, "situational ethics."

But, then again, I'm a bit of a crochety old f*rt, too.

<....>
Old 15th May 2009, 01:10 AM
jdeslip Offline

Here is my comment on the original story:

Hulu is definitely a much better model. But, I think it will be a long time before we see many movies hit the web DRM free (hulu’s movie content is limited) - and hulu isn't exactly open. I am afraid we may see more DRM proprietary Flash stuff (like Move Media Player) come up, as well. It is not clear to me that it is in Linux’s interests to turn a cold shoulder to these things. Certainly it would be better if they didn’t exist, but since they do, I would rather they exist in a cross platform way that doesn’t require people to stick with a particular OS. I.e. what I really do not like is how MS has tied this to Windows/OSX, it probably violates some sort of antitrust regulation. Which is why I think asking MS to port this to Linux is just asking them not to behave badly.
Old 15th May 2009, 01:51 AM
ppesci Offline

No doubt for me that Miguel is a M$ employee. My system is mono - free anyway.

Flash is a much better, more extended product and is cross platform. Better is to concentrate effort to plead adobe to open flash technology. Probably the M$ pressure will force adobe to do that anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 15th May 2009, 05:09 AM
robert-e Offline

I would not be interested in it at all
-I don't like any DRM stuff tied into any OS. It is ok for a company (eg record lable) to do so, but not an OS.
-I don't use Silverlight to listen to my local radio station. Putting any MS net-connected product on the net is not safe.
-Last and the least; MS stuff tends to cost me much time and money, and it never seems to let up.

The above reasons are why I still use Linux, even though not all my hardware works well.

So, bottom line...while I am not a great fan of Adobe, I will still stick with them, rather than expose myself to the troubles and anxiety that comes with using MS products.

Regards,
Bob
Old 15th May 2009, 05:12 AM
Wayne

Nope, MS stuff not wanted here. My system is Mono free too and if Mono gets forced into Gnome I'll move to XFce, or <gasp> even KDE!

Wayne
Old 15th May 2009, 01:59 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
in a scale from 1-10?
-99,999,999,999 badly.
i second that sentiment
Old 15th May 2009, 03:28 PM
rookcifer Offline

I want Netflix in Linux really badly. Right now I have to keep a Windows partition just so I can watch Netflix streaming movies. Netflix is the ONLY thing that keeps a Windoze partition in my home.

However, I am not getting my hopes up. Why? Because Netflix requires DRM and Linux and DRM are like yin and yang. So, if Netflix can't find a viable DRM option on Linux (that is also approved by the movie studios) then it will never happen. Windows has no problem with DRM since M$ is one of the biggest proponents of shoving DRM down our throats with its own products.

And I agree with the others: if getting Netflix on Linux will cause us all to sell our FLOSS souls to the devil, then no thanks. I will do without!

Last edited by rookcifer; 15th May 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 15th May 2009, 03:44 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

If Hollywood ever made anything worth watching then I might be interested.

On the flipside, just saw the movie Fireproof and I must say that was awesome! I have always liked Kirk Cameron, more so since...his life changed.
Old 15th May 2009, 04:17 PM
vms100 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwca View Post
i second that sentiment
Me too

Unusable. That's very simple to say
Old 15th May 2009, 05:41 PM
Jake Offline

<sarcasm>Wow, I didn't realise there was so many people on this forum who want it </sarcasm>

I doubt Netflix will come to Linux, or rather. I hope it doesn't I dislike DRM.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 15th May 2009, 10:50 PM
JohnVV Offline

not interested in net flicks so...
i do not even use apples ipod software ( except to activate it ) i use gtkpod

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 16th May 2009, 04:57 AM
Lopov Offline

Seriously I don't need no stinkin netflix, I download my movies off torrents and put them on dvd.