Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th May 2009, 01:10 PM
barakuda Offline

aacraid trouble (SCSI hang?)

Hi!
I've tried to install FC8 on a fresh x3550 7978 BCG machine with serveraid8k-i raid controller onboard and SAS disk. When I got to the partitioning stage, I got a message from aacraid module saying "Host adapter reset request. SCSI hang?" and the machine froze.
We've updated all the firmwares on the server, but to no avail.
The only workaround that seems to help is switching PHY Rate to 1.5Gbps in Serveraid's controller's configuration utility during boot.
Is there any way to make it work at 3.0 Gbps?

Last edited by barakuda; 18th May 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11th January 2010, 02:27 PM
bdoran Offline

windows_7firefox
HI,
I'm having a similar problem, but Fedora is already installed. I'm running Fedora Core 10 and have also tried using Fedora 9 Live CD and have the same symptoms. I get the I/O error whenever I atempt to transfer (Read or write) large amounts of data to the SCSI RAID-5 Volume on this machine. I have tried updating all firmware, multiple FSCK checks and even tried resycning the array and individual drives to no avail. Just this morning I found another post that indicated changing the PHY Rate to 1.5 is a work around. So far, so good but I would like to get things working properly without lowering the PHY Rate as that will also lower transfer rates to/from the SAS drives.

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks.
Old 11th January 2010, 02:47 PM
barakuda Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I have long struggled with the IBM support team in Moscow. So they've made exchange for hard drives. After that everything became smooth. All modes are working without any problems!

BUT! They replaced my new drives with refurbished ones! It's very annoying for me, despite warranty.

Call your local IBM authoritive and demand a hardware exchnage!

with best wishes!
Old 11th January 2010, 03:02 PM
bdoran Offline

windows_7firefox
Thanks. I have long suspected that the drives are an issue. We had initial problems with this server and IBM swapped one of the 4 drives in the array. That drive is different Manufacturer than the other 3 and blinks at a slower rate when the array is accessed. I will follow up with IBM. Thanks for your reply and suggestions! I'll update this forum once I have received and swapped the HDs.

Tags
aacraid, ibm, scsi, trouble