Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2009, 10:33 PM
syndacate Offline

VGA Mode assistance (screen resolution)

Hey,

I just installed FC10 on my computer. I'm new to fedora but not new to linux in general. With that said, I usually use "easier" distros in general.

I followed the directions to install fglxr (the ati drivers for my radeon 9800 card), that seemed to go okay until the end:

I need a the vga mode to put into grub, as i can't select any resolutions higher than 1600x1200, my screen resolution is 1920x1200. Is this something that can be fixed by changing the vga mode in GRUB? Or is this something that the drivers simply don't support?

I'm really have no clue what to do, even arch linux and gentoo detected the regular display size automatically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Greg
Old 5th June 2009, 08:23 PM
syndacate Offline

*bump

Anybody have ATI cards and a 24" monitor?
Old 6th June 2009, 10:51 PM
syndacate Offline

I guess nobody knows. I'm pretty confident that it's actually an issue with the proprietary ATI Radeon drivers, as I'm having the same issue in Ubuntu.

By Monday of next week I'll have an order in for a new cooler for my nvidia card, so I can put that back in. I do believe that will fix this stupid problem. Screw ATI.
Old 15th June 2009, 09:01 AM
urkon Offline

F11 ati 4770 1920x1200 resolution issue

I am having the same issue on F11 with ati 4770.

I would appreciate if someone could give me a tip to solve this annoying resolution issue.

On phoronix site is talk about the ATI R600/700 series to be supported with OS drivers. Does anybody knows if/when it will came to F11?
Old 17th June 2009, 07:28 PM
syndacate Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkon View Post
I am having the same issue on F11 with ati 4770.

I would appreciate if someone could give me a tip to solve this annoying resolution issue.

On phoronix site is talk about the ATI R600/700 series to be supported with OS drivers. Does anybody knows if/when it will came to F11?
I don't know anything about the R600/R700 cards, but I'm 99.9% sure that this is an issue with ATI's proprietary drivers. Their driver support sucked even more since they were bought out. Just be smart, by an Nvidia - My new fan is coming tomorrow and then I can get my nvidia back in there (assuming I can rig this fan to work with it, haha).

I'm having the same issue with this card in Ubuntu, both 8.04 and 8.10, this is def. a problem with their drivers since that's about the only thing in common.

Tags
assistance, mode, resolution, screen, vga