Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th June 2009, 06:59 PM
Lafflin Offline

So I've ran a bunch of updates, and toward the end the dialogue box said that it's cleaning up. That went on for about an hour before I restated, the restart was quick.....it's when I sign in that it takes about twenty minutes of staring at a blank desktop before Icons or task bar come up.
I'm going to have to draw this one up as a sign that perhaps I should simply reinstall with FC11, cause this certainly isn't working.
Old 10th June 2009, 07:25 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Something has gone terribly wrong, but I can't figure what. YUM should not 'clean up' indefinitely (an hour is too long), and forcibly terminating it (as by re-booting, or even re-start X11) might wreck the RPM database, which YUM also relies upon.

A complete re-install at this point, if you can bear to wipe the existing OS, is probably the best idea. If the next install does not exhibit such delays, be extra careful when 'installing' software from tarballs/source code/binaries: they can wreak havoc on your clean OS.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck,
V
Old 10th June 2009, 07:38 PM
Lafflin Offline

I see, I guess we'll chalk this one up as a learning experience.
Kind of a side note, the point of doing all this is because I am trying to create an IDS using snort. I seem to be set on my decision to use Fedora, but I haven't found documentation on snort that is dedicated solely to fedora. Anyone know of any?
Old 10th June 2009, 07:47 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

'snort' is available in the standard Fedora repos, so I recommend using the "stock" RPMs ('yum install snort'). Hopefully, there is some info to be found in the forums on seting up 'snort'. I know of know good Fedora-specific tutorial(s).

V

Tags
f10, minute, startup, time