Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th June 2009, 09:02 AM
esnakk Offline

Fedora wont install w/Promise SATA RAID (1/5) card general RAID/mb questions

Hi!

I am having a hard time getting RAID hardware to function (or even install).

Possibly this is a driver issue?

Problems occur especially with Promise SATA RAID Cards such as TX4310 where I have tried inoumerous variations of configurations (4x 500GB Seagate drives configured as 3+1 spare), even when I use to additional sata2 250GB drives for the system and "only" try to use the promise card for additional disk space (ie not to be mounted as system important partions such as swap, root (/) etc..) it will not even install.

Have tried with Fedora 9, 10, 11 as well as Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04. basicly the same result.

Is this a problem with missing or bad support for promise raid cards? Is this a problem with bad or missing drivers for ASUS motherboards (mainly we use fairly recent asus motherboards with Intel ICHx embedded cards)?

If I remove the promise TX4310 PCI-e card it installs without problem..

Another wierd thing is that if I try the "onboard" (fake?) sata raid 1 "card" it does not work either (same goes if I try other promise raid cards we have lying around).

I have checked all hardware, nothing is broken and works fine, memory diagnostics etc show no errors. The server has been running fedora 10 without raid configuration without any problem for several months.

According to Promise the drivers for RHEL should work for Fedora? Somebody else also told me that if there is an official RHEL driver it should work with Fedora?

Does anyone have experience with promise cards (or asus motherboards)?

Asus and Promise are nice cheap cards but if this does not work we may have to switch to other brands? If so I would also appreciate recommendations for "safe" cards to use!

Thanks in advance!

cheers
Esnakk

Tags
asus, driver, motherboard, promise, raid