Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th June 2009, 05:58 AM
Maj_Solo Offline

Question F11 64-bit INSTALL hangs right after telling anaconda the root password

EDIT ---------------------- put this first so you don't need to read etire post

Another thread is here http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=223638
Another thread is here http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=223326 (confirmed, installation is not hung it just takes a very long time)

EDIT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Burned F11 64bit to DVD.

Installed on following systems .....

System 1:

ASUS P5K - 2GB RAM - Intel 3.0 GHz Dual Core
3 x SATA HD
Radeon 9600
SB Audigy 2 or some such card
WriteMaster DVD/CD RW Combo.

Install worked perfectly + grub installed perfectly. Install process did not damage anything Windows Vista still working fine.

-----

Same DVD into

System 2:

Amilo Xi 2528 laptop
2GB RAM - Intel 2.0 GHz Dual Core
1 HD

Install worked perfectly + grub got installed but the install process somehow managed to damage Windows Vista which now tries to boot but fails earlier than I ever seen before, must be down low in the bootstrap programs.

And the partitioning is veeeery simple:

[sda1 NTFS Vista] [sda2 ext3 Fedora] [sda3 NTFS Common data used by both movies downloads etc]

------

Same DVD into

System 3:

ASUS P5Q - 4GB RAM - Intel 3.16 GHz Dual Core
4 x SATA HD
2 x IDE HD
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS
SB X-Fi extreeme (dont remember what it is called)
WriteMaster DVD/CD RW Combo.

Install starts, I answer all questions till I get asked to specify the root password, then I click OK and after that nothing happens and installation GUI is dead........

It was the same DVD I used, rebooting and trying 2 more time did not help install freezes at the same point. So problem is related to F11 64bit Install + that machine.

I also did a memory test on the machine and main memory is OK (Jeez fully testing 4GB of RAM .... I should have started that when I went to bed)

I just wanted to report this. Anyone seen any thread solving this???

( i don't want to test the CD on the other machines cause simply I don't want Fedora on them they are LFS boxes )

EDIT ----------------------

Ctrl + Alt + BkSpc and sitting there waiting hitting return every now and then wondering if I had contact with anaconda or not it spitted out a message

using non dm device sdb

waiting between 30 sec to 60 sec another one came

using non dm device sda

and I waited and long time between each there followed

using non dm device sdf
using non dm device sdc
using non dm device sdd

and so on .....

So ...... when I go to bed today I start the install and come back in the morning to see if the install have progressed .... Something is running EXTREEEEEEEEEMELY slow in the install process.

EDIT -----------------

On system 3 the install worked. I think a "Please Wait ..." sign would be in place at that point incase this problem appears for many customers at that point.

The other minor problem after booting F11-64 is that the system also has Western Digital Terrabyte disks hanging on the USB, and the Desktop GUI is reporting them to have health problems. clicking on the icon no more information is given. But the system has mounted them and they are working fine. Many GUI tools there on the desktop are pretty much crap is my experience ....

Last edited by Maj_Solo; 14th June 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 27th June 2009, 01:34 AM
Maj_Solo Offline

As I mensioned 'wvdial' is gone in F11. The other thing that is not properly configured now is when you do not use the system the screen go black, but the signal to the monitor isn't shut down so the monitors never go to "sleep mode" but stands there burning displaying a black screen.

Also, the problem I had with System 2 above, the laptop. Solution is:

If you allready have F10 installed don't let Fedora 11 install GRUB, tell it NOT to touch the GRUB that is allready there. Cause if you let it F11 will thrash Vistas boot. You can allow F11 to UPDATE the F10 GRUB (and the reason is to change the file name of the vmlinuz to load), But please don't let F11 install a new GRUB.

If you not yet have Fedora on the machine then install Fedora 10 format and wipe Linux partition clean and let the istall continue installing GRUB also. The dual boot with vista now works and you have 'wvdial' also so you have your 3G backup internet connection via the mobile phone. Oh, also, F10 64bit install fails if you have office&productivity software selected, deselect that and dont add any extra repos, and the F10 64bit install works.

Then you insert F11 64bit, and upgrade the fresh F10 to F11. GRUB is updated and dual boot with vista is still working and you still have wvdial which still is working

wvdial.conf
------------------------------------
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
Dial Command = ATD
Carrier Check = no
Phone = *99#
Password = empty
Username = empty
Stupid Mode = 1
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","online.telia.se"
Dial Attempts = 2
------------------------------

So you can get backup line through your 3G phone. And if you have more than 1 machine you need to use SNAT so to help the other machines with their internet transactions so you have to write some scripts to take the IP that was given to ppp0 and transfer that to iptables

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j SNAT --to-source $THE_DYNAMIC_IP_PPP0_HAS
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then if you are brave you can

iptables --flush

to throw out the firewall, or you have to rewrite the rules to let traffic though in a way specific to your network layout. Anyways, works for me in F10 and with the installation procedure given above still works in F11. In any case the machine with the mobile phone now has to be the gateway, so the other machines has to point to it. But I find it easier to use a red cross over cable and go in on the internet port on the router. That way nothing but the gateway and the DNS ip address need to be given to the router and it will give that info to all other machines via DHCP. Craziest config I had was one day the internet connection went down, and I used my laptop WLAN interface to connect to some neighbours unprotected WLAN which was on wireless router which uses NAT, and on my laptop I configured SNAT, took a red cable and connected to my wireless routers Internet port, and that router runs NAT, and behind that I have my gaming rig, and it worked absolutely great, ping time in Counter Strike was 9ms to server. If I use the 100 Mb/s fiber straight in to the router ping in CS is 5 - 7 ms. So the loss in this "horrific" chain of machines was stunningly low, and it also proves Linux is fast as gateways. Infact most home routers are running embedded Linux. And quite a few DVD players and other devices, you can FLASH your router your DVD player (not the one in your PC, I mean the one in your living room under the TV), you can FLASH your printer your slug your refridgerator your everything and unleash the power of the Linux within.... .... how about making your DVD a media server, record programs and serve them to you PC . Anyways, Via 3G network you will have at minimum a ping of 110 - 120 ms, so most CS-Servers will kick you out if you try to use 3G and play CS.

Anyways, it is now obvious that F10 install does cater to some of Vistas needs, and F11 install does not.

And therefore F11 sucks. Back then when they built F10 they should have written down and documented the special configs they made and why. I myself has bowl with USB stick containing memories of how the hell did I do this and how the hell did I do that, a result from painful lessons learned when it was too late, after the HD crashes. When they built the F11 they should have read this documentation and made sure that the tweaks that made F10 great also was put into F11. F10 obviously understands more of the universe than F11, F11 is dumber.

Last edited by Maj_Solo; 27th June 2009 at 03:36 AM.

Tags
fedora 11, freeze, hangs, install