Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2009, 04:27 AM
roscian Offline

I promise this will be my last thread but...

... after hours of internet searching I still have the same sound issues, “http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthr...#post1224013.”
The problem is that all the solutions never give instructions on what to do.

For example, here http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31441, I would like to follow these steps, but look at this, “So, I played with ESD, from a terminal, killing the esd process”. Fine but how do you kill the process?

I then have to search for help in killing processes. I find something like this http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/kill-pr...linux-systems/, but now what is this “# ps aux | grep lighttpd?” Do I type all that in, if so where, and how do you get a “|?”

My searching also has found massive sound issues with fedora from the beginning; at least I found issues way back from fedora 6.

Why does it have so many sound issues still?

What’s the most disturbing is this http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=223205. Is Ubuntu saying sound will never work in fedora?

My little rant:
For years now I’ve been reading that linux is a great alternative to Windows. I finally got tired of Vista’s issues (it works for me, but so slow) that I decided it was a good time to look for something else. I had read that fedora is easy to use. So here I am with fedora 11, but I can’t get even the sound to work. All OS have issues, I got that, but really, I have to use a terminal program and type weird command lines to fix this thing? It’s 2009 for Pete's Sake? I downloaded the pulseaudio program, but there's no install file. Just folders in folders with file of unknown type with name like makefile.am, etc. Good Lord.

Thank you for reading my rant. I feel better now.

Please, if anyone can direct me to solutions to this issue, I thank you. I’m about to wipe fedora off my system. But I'll be stuck with Windows 7
Old 14th June 2009, 04:43 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

<SIGH>

Your technical question is asked (and addressed, if not yet solved) in the first thread that you linked above. This is a rant (as the OP clearly states). Moved to "Fedora Focus".

To any responders: technical responses should be posted in the above linked thread. This thread will be closed if it becomes simply a duplicate of the above, or otherwise ugly.

V
Old 14th June 2009, 04:50 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

I understand his rant.

Fedora is not the easiest distro to start with. You also need to understand that Linux is just different than Windows. You have many things to learn as evidenced by your post here, that is okay though. Dont get discouraged, just take things one at a time.

In respect to Vince I will not begin answering your problems here, but I do want to say before you totally throw in the towel with Linux why not download the latest Linux Mint and give that a spin?

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

This is the easiest and best distro for a beginner, and because Linux is Linux even I use it. It is an awesome distro that usually works right out of the box, or gate.
Old 14th June 2009, 05:13 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

It's a valid point, and probably applicable for any distribution that won't work with your hardware out of the box.
Yes, you have to google for this and that, it's not like Windows or Mac where clicking help will <gasp> actually be helpful. As with anything that has its advocates, there's a good deal of hype, often contradictory.

If you do try Mint, keep in mind that the lead developer has requested that if you don't share his political views--well, basically, if you support Israel's government's views---that you don't use his distribution. He later more or less retracted it, but it's something to keep in mind, simply out of respect for his wishes.

I actually wouldn't even call your post a rant, more an expression of frustration. For what it's worthy, there are many new users who feel the same way--they're told it's going to be simple and is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and then it turns out that they have spend hours googling to find out how to do things--and are called stupid or lazy because they plan to use their computers to errm, do things.

Or they get pointed to a howto which gives, as you point out, an instruction that isn't clear to the beginner, as if it's a self standing instruction--of course, if you're new to the command line, it ISN'T a self standing instruction, it means more googling.

I'd disagree with JN4 slightly, in that Fedora, when it works, is probably as easy to use as Mint or Ubuntu---most of the sound issues have been resolved if you stick with the Gnome desktop. If you don't stick with the default desktop, you'll have trouble in most of the user friendly distributions, including Ubuntu and Mint.

At any rate, yes, you're entitled to a rant, and while we hope you stick around, and will try to help if you do, this, of course, is your choice.

The documentation--well, our Windows Admin, who knows how to look for documentation, and is quite knowledgeable, was trying to configure X on a CentOS box. He was doing most of it right, save for a typo, that he figured out--but what wasn't mentioned anywhere is that when you type X -configure and then start X with it, that all you get is a screen with a mouse.

He asked for help and I did it in under a minute--simply because I'm familiar with the procedure, know what to expect, and have done it many times. He'd had to google and research for a half hour, using what turned out to be dated documentation. And believe me, this guy does know his stuff and enjoys learning. However, it was simply something with which he was completely unfamiliar, and of course, much of the documentation will make things sound much harder than they actually are.

So, perhaps you'll hang in a bit and work through the issues, and perhaps you won't. That's your choice of course, but believe it or not, much of it is really simple when you know how to do it. (Of course, much of it isn't, but even in Windows or Apple, when one starts getting to the "power user" level, a lot of that can get complex too.)

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 14th June 2009, 05:28 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

I can well understand Scott's distaste for Mint due to the political nature of comments made by the lead developer. It is a touchy subject, I disagree that they were meant as anti-semetic and he did retract and apologize for what he said. However, any bad feelings are understandable and you should be aware of this before committing to the distro.

I learned Linux on Fedora. Back in the bad old days of FC4 and 5 and even 6 it was much more challenging, but it was fun too. I would have never learned as much as I have using Ubuntu or Mint or PCLOS. However, Fedora was a commitment. They are trying to change this and it is becoming better. It is a great distro and has, probably, the best forum going. Maybe not as busy as Ubuntu but there are top quality people here.

The choice is yours, that is the beauty of Linux. Just be aware that there will be a learning curve no matter what you do. The only difference between Fedora and Mint is Mint *usually* works without any tweaking whereas Fedora usually does require some fiddling to get it right.

edit: If you do decide to stay then just keep everyone posted on your problem. There are many great people here to help you, sometimes you just have to be patient till you get someone's attention. Just do your best to figure things out and when you get stuck dont be afraid to ask. That is why we are here.
Old 14th June 2009, 06:41 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Just to clarify a bit--I don't think his statement was anti-Semitic per se. However, I don't agree with his political views and feel I should respect his wishes. I do feel however, that if I suggest Mint to someone I should let them know of his wishes, and that, as the lead developer, he has a right to such wishes, and that people should respect them.

I don't think he's an anti-Semite. HIs political views simply don't agree with mine, and therefore, I feel that as it IS his product, I should respect those wishes. So, my not using Mint is actually a gesture of respect, rather than contempt, to said developer.

I also feel he has every right to make his feelings known, but that people who are having Mint recommended to them should be aware of said wishes.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon