Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2009, 01:54 PM
fredex Offline

howto enable/manage persistence--livecd on usb stick

I've set up a usb stick (1 gig) to boot the live cd image (following the fedora 11 instructions). works fine.

but how do I enable persistence, so changes I make will persist across boots?

I made a number of settings changes and installed the necessary wireless driver. after reboot they're all gone.

Thanks!
Old 15th June 2009, 02:33 AM
zackf Offline

How did you make the Stick?
Old 15th June 2009, 01:41 PM
ryptyde Offline

A 1GB usb stick is on the small side and you will probably only be able to create a 256 MB persistent overlay. The persistent overlay needs to be assigned during the creation of the liveusb. As zackf asked "how did you make the stick?" did you use Linux or Windows?
Old 15th June 2009, 01:58 PM
dragonbite Online

Also did you use Fedora's or something like UNetbootin?
Old 15th June 2009, 02:18 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

On a 1gb stick you haven't enough space for workable full persistence. Instead create a persistent home dir (it's an option in livecd-iso-to-disk), you should manage 256mb. That'll keep all your desktop settings across boots. For wifi drivers etc, store the required rpms/drivers in your ~/Download directory and write a small script to install them after boot.

Each time you boot you will need to run the script, in my case I store flash and smplayer rpms, to get all the smplayer rpms including dependencies I enabled rpmfusion and did 'yumdownloader -resolve smplayer'
Old 15th June 2009, 09:24 PM
fredex Offline

thanks to all of you for replying!

I used the fedora usb creation tool, following instructions I found (somewhere) on fedora's web site. I didn't see (possibly overlooked) the instructions for enabling persistence, b ut I've since seen them. I'll be trying again soon.

Thanks again!

Tags
enable or manage, howto, persistencelivecd, stick, usb