Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th June 2009, 03:16 AM
docmccoy Offline

Question Scientific

Hi
  1. Who is using Miktex (Latex) with some program (WinEdit in Windows case) to create .tex and .pdf files? Please, tell me howto install this applications on Fedora 11.
  2. And who is familiar with Wolfram Mathematica 6 ? Tell me the same thing, as with Latex.

Thanks

Kostya
Old 15th June 2009, 04:39 PM
docmccoy Offline

I find that Kile is like WinEdit and Tex Live (or teTex) is like Miktex/Latex. On Kile site they say that Kile developed for KDE, and i have GNOME Desktop. So i have the next question: is it will be okay if i install KDE in conjunction with GNOME? I a'm asking cause want to prevent any unexpectable operations.

And i have following postquestion - howto install manually (from terminal) kile-2.0.3.tar.bz2 file, which i've downloaded. I see that i can simply click in Add/Remove programs on this package and install it automatically, but i've already downloaded this file and some other much bigger files and don't want to redownload them via Add/Remove. Question is simple - howto install packages from terminal (using own files, not repositories)? Sorry for my damn question. I'm newbi

Last edited by docmccoy; 15th June 2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 21st June 2009, 12:59 PM
sonoran Offline

Hi Doc-
Yes it is okay to run KDE apps in Gnome - what usually happens is that when you install a KDE app the necessary KDE libraries are installed as dependencies. In most cases it is not necessary to be running KDE, except for some utility stuff.

Your second question is more problematic. If a program is available in the Fedora repositories, it is usually a good idea to use that instead of another version - the reason being that the packager/maintainer has put in the rpm all the required dependencies that the program needs, and in some cases changed the source code to make sure that version of the program will fit in with the current Fedora system. If you install a non-Fedora version, it may require dependencies that are incompatible with Fedora such as a different version of a library or other software. If you install those you may break other programs that require the previous versions.

You can read the docs that come with what you want to install, it is possible it will not require anything additional. But if it does you risk breaking your system if you install that.

The other part of that question - how to install? Follow provided install instructions, if any. When you get away from yum and rpm you're pretty much on your own. If it's source code the procedure is usually run "configure", then "make", then "make install" and hope it works. Another reason to stick with the Fedora repos if you can.

Hope this helps.
Old 21st June 2009, 01:20 PM
GODhack Offline

Be sure to try out GNU Octave and Maxima and others for question 2 you find them in package manager. Use only package manager or yum for software installation as much as possible. Kile is the best choice for sure just use package manager to install in not anything else, just simply:
su
yum install kile
And that is all.
---
If you buy Wolfram Mathematica 7 you can contact their customer support and they will help you to install it on any popular Linux distribution, they support it and that is their job not oss community. (http://www.wolfram.com:80/products/m...ica/index.html)
Still I suggest you to try all GNU alternatives you can find before you buy that software.

Last edited by GODhack; 21st June 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 21st June 2009, 01:42 PM
docmccoy Offline

Thanks to both of you. In future i will use Package Manager. About Wolfram i found in torrents the pirate 7.0 version (the last one) for linux and instructions to install it. So i'm satisfied now) Good luck

Tags
scientific