Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th June 2009, 04:00 AM
tsudeki Offline

Fedora 11 x86_64 Install Issues

I attempted to install Fedora 11 x86_64 via the DVD iso.

When I ran the installer it fails to boot into X so I had to use the text-based install. That worked fine; however, when my machine rebooted to go into Linux it dies. The boot has only worked once (the first time) but I couldn't start x ('startx' was not a valid command). I ran a yum update to see if that would help any of my issues but my linux partition no longer boots at all. It dies after the Fedora progress bars complete.

Is this a common issue? I don't think it is because I haven't found anyone else having this issue. If it helps, my video card is an nVidia GeForce 7900GS. I have 2 installed in my computer if that makes a difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have searched all over the place for anyone else having a similar issue but I can't find anything related.

I did find the 'nouveau.modeset=1' argument that I will try out but I'm not 100% sure how to use that argument during the install.

For the record, Fedora 10 x86_64 was my OS for the past several months and I experienced no issues with it. Worst case scenario is I'll be going back to 10.

Note: For the time being I will reinstall 10 so I can get my machine up and running again. My last failed attempt seems to have botched my boot loader
Old 18th June 2009, 07:14 AM
ozjd Offline

I have a nvidia 8400GS and I needed to select the basic video driver option on the install menu of the DVD for it to successfully install. Once installed and updated I installed the nvidia driver and it is working fine.

Don't know if that helps.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:55 PM
Paul.Phillips Offline

Hi tsudeki,

I had the same problem. And I had to quite a bit to fix it.

Firstly, using the default nouveau driver does not seem to work with two video cards. It cannot decide which should be the primary, and uses neither. So a crude way to get moving it to remove one of the video cars. It works, but then you may (or may not) run into the next problem.

If startx works, but the gui does not respond to the keyboard and mouse, it is likely hal has failed (this was the case with my x86_64 installation). A workable bypass is to downgrade to the F10 hal (there are instructions somewhere in a recent software forum message) and restart.

That should at least get you into a working gui, even if it is just a single card. My next step was to load the rpm nvidia driver - again there are instructions in another thread on how to do it. The driver you require depends on the cards you have, but there should be one.

Having done all that and rebooted, with the gui I was able to run the nvidia configuration tool and save a useable xorg.conf. I then modified it to add entries for the second video card and monitors 3 and 4.

Finally, I have a running system with both cards installed. For whatever reason, I cannot get KDE to use more than one monitor. The other three are all black, although the mouse will move to any of them.

If you want to know more about how I got round the same problem you are having, just let me know and I will try to expand on the steps I have taken.

It took a lot of patience, a lot of fiddling and research (and a little help from the forum), but I got there in the end.

I had a lot of problems with Anaconda too. Removing one video card allowed me to do a graphical install (which also installs X - that is why startx was not found in your case).

Same here; F10 was fine, F11 I had the same problems you have.

In theory, if you get the grub boot screen, you can edit the contents of the second line (the kernel start parameters), remove the rhgb quiet and put nouveau.modeset=1 at the end of the line. Press enter to save, then b to boot. Itś just that it did not work for me.

Best of luck,

Paul
Old 18th June 2009, 06:09 PM
tsudeki Offline

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did attempt the basic video driver installation and it also failed to start X.

For now I have gone back to Fedora 10. I may end up waiting for Fedora 12 before attempting to upgrade again. Hopefully the next version of Fedora won't have these same issues.

Tags
fedora, install, issues, x8664